I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Americade 2010 - yeah, I actually did it

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
CapoGreg

Americade 2010 - yeah, I actually did it

Post by CapoGreg »

Disclaimer - this trip in no way could be considered a dual sport ride, the only gravel we saw was a couple parking lots. However, it was definitely an adventure, and these memories will last a lifetime.

My wife Melissa and I decided to go to the Americade Rally this year in Lake George, NY. I know you're all thinking, "It's all Harleys and Goldwings, and the two of us are 20 years younger than the average Americader." Well, you're mostly right, but since the Capo is a sport-touring bike, it seemed reasonable to go to a rally for touring and sport-touring riders. In reality, we saw a lot of younger riders there, mostly on sportbikes, including one on an RC51 with Mass. plates and throwover bags on the back. I don't care what anyone says, that's a tough rider. There were also a lot of GS's and Stroms, plus one other Aprilia (if Ken is wondering, there weren't any KTM's, they were all getting the weekly oil changes and valve adjustments :lol2: )

Anyway, against both of our family's wishes, we decided to ride there instead of trailering. We set out on Sunday around noon with the goal of making it to Newburgh, NY that evening. The Capo was a heavy bitch with all of our gear on it, but as long as I didn't park it leaning downhill it was OK. The traffic on the DE Turnpike and through Philthadelphia was terrible, and wore my clutch hand out pretty quick. On top of that, the temperature was 92 degrees, it was humid, and yet still windy. We fought through the heat and wind for about 4 hours until we hit a severe thunderstorm, luckily we needed gas at that point, so it wasn't a problem to stop. Even after the storm, the wind stayed with us the rest of the day. Here is my lovely wife when we stopped for a leg stretcher on I-287 at the NJ/NY state line.

We woke up Monday morning to sunny skies and cool temperatures, but the wind was still there. No trip up I-87 would be complete without a stop at Orange County Choppers, especially since we were staying 2 minutes away from their shop. We went over there before checking out of the hotel and each picked up a t-shirt(I don't know why, I don't really like choppers, but what the hell)

Some cool brick-laying

I guess this would be the OCC Museum

The legend itself...if you want your picture next to it, it's $20

OK, I said I didn't like choppers, but I lied, I liked this one

Back on topic, the Ramada Inn in Newburgh, NY is a nice place to stay if you're passing through. They'll let you park your bike right outside the main entrance where the attendant can see it. After being gouged at the tourist trap, we hit the road again, stopping about every hour to let Melissa stretch (I didn't mind it either). The wind was with us all the way into Albany, but on day 2 we got some ear plugs, which made it a lot easier to cope with.

Stopped at a NY Thruway rest stop in New Baltimore.

We arrived in Lake George about 1:00, too early to check in to the hotel, so we went down to the Holiday Inn to pick up our pre-registration packets for the rally. Then we rode out to the Roaring Brook Ranch to gather some more information. We checked in to the hotel at 3:00 and then went back to RBR to see the Lee Parks seminar and NY State Troopers do their motorcycle skills demo.

State trooper on his steed, showing off the slow ride skills.

They asked for volunteers to ride out there too. Not being shy, I got right on mine and went out into the arena. Slow turn here, I was the 6th person to try, and the first to succeed.

Trooper: "Do you know how fast you were going back there?"
Me: "I don't know, 2 or 3."
Trooper: "Son, I clocked you at almost 4 miles per hour."
Me: "Sorry, it's a sport bike, they don't like to go slow."
Trooper: "I'm giving you a warning, but in the future, try to keep it under 3."

Didn't really happen, but that was my failed attempt at humor. Tuesday we spent most of the day at RBR doing some demo rides. We hit the pavement on a Roadsmith GL1800 trike first. I'm not getting soft, I rode the trike for 2 reasons: 1) Honda wasn't there, so it was as close as we could get to a Goldwing; 2)my dad is disabled and I wanted to see if he could handle a trike so he could ride again. My conclusion is that, unless you're completely stopped, a trike is very easy to handle and with a few mods he could be back on the road again. Next we rode a '09 KLR 650...don't ask me why WE rode it instead of ME rode it. The Kawi demo route took us onto I-87 two times, and we were with a pack of sportbikes riding solo. I DAMN near had the throttle pinned doing 70 and they left us in the dust. Fortunately, we caught up to them at the exit ramp and the road back to RBR was a nice twisty backroad. Funny thing was, all the solo sportbikers left us on I-87, but in the twisties, this DAMN rider kept up with them while 2-up on a KLR. I guess I'm a little better than I thought I was. The afternoon found me solo on a Ninja 650R, it's not a supersport and it uses the same 650 twin that's in the Versys. It's a more neutral riding position, but still aggressive enough for me to keep the pressure on the other riders. Finally, we both rode the Kawi Voyager 1700. If you haven't seen one, think Electra Glide style with Japanese power and reliability. It was a phenomenal machine with one major flaw, the exhaust resonates through our helmets and became annoying very quick. If they could solve that, I'd buy one in a hearbeat.

I'm getting tired, so the conclusion to the story will have wait until tomorrow.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Americade 2010 - yeah, I actually did it

Post by Rut Row »

sounds like you had fun!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

OK, since you're all on the edge of your seats, I guess I'll finish up.

Ken, yes we had a great time despite conditions on the rides up and back. I'd recommend anyone go to Americade at least once just to see what it's like. To put it simple, Americade is a gathering of people who love motorcycles just for the sake of loving them. Sure there are leather clad pirates, Power Ranger sportbikers, and guys who spend mor on Aerostitch & Touratech than I make in a year, but the overwhelming majority are regular people who come just to have fun.

Tuesday evening found us take the Kuryakn Starlight Dinner Cruise on Lake George. Sounded like a great idea to butter up my wife...it wasn't. They herded us onto the boat like livestock and sent us to a buffet table. Then we had to pick a spot at one of the overcrowded tables. They ran out of food a couple times and had to get more from onshore, and most people were done eating by the time we left the dock. The cruise up the lake was very nice, but I wouldn't buy tickets for a dinner cruise if I went again.

Kinda reminds me of Alaska

Our boat

This is why every thing in Lake George costs so much, one of many along the lake

Another dinner cruise heading back to the dock

On Wednesday morning, we went to the actual Tour Expo, which had a huge selection of almost everything a touring motorcyclist could need. We got a couple more t-shirts and I mulled over buying a trailer so I didn't have to put everything on the Capo.

This is what the parking area along beach road looked like

More parking at Battlefield Park

A few I picked out of the crowd that caught my attention

Possibly my favorite

We hit the road around noon on Wednesday with a plan of going about halfway home. It was sunny and 74 in Lake George, so we were happy and comfortable rolling down I-87 for about 25 miles...then it got dark, started raining, and the temp dropped to 58. We pulled over before the heavy rain started to put our waterproof gear on. We pushed on into NJ, which was about halfway home and it was time for fuel. I asked Melissa how much further she wanted to go, and her response was "I'll keep going as long as you want to." Apparently, she forgot who she was talking to, as I got back on the highway and kept rolling until we got home. It was 8 1/2 hours and 370 miles, 300+ of which were in the rain, and we found out that our waterproof gear has it's limitations. The next day, we were both tired and she was sore from sitting on the back for so long.

It was an adventure in it's own right and I'll never forget it, but DAMN I should have stopped when I planned to. I'd go again, but it would either be solo on the Capo or two-up with a Goldwing. Now for some randomness.

I thought about one of these for my dad, since he could ride it and take his dog with him

But he would be better on a trike, so I found this at the Tour Expo, which is exactly what he needs.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Nice trip Capo. I'm not too keen on any of the "BikeWeek" type Rallys, but Americade probably wasn't too bad.
If I had a huge garage and money to burn, I think the Kawasaki Voyager would be a good bike to take the wife on rides/trips. Though I kinda liked the old Kawy Voyager that looked like an 80's bikes.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

Phil, I'm not a rally person either, I have no interest in going to Sturgis or Daytona, but Americade was a lot different. It was actually a good time and a more mature, family-oriented experience. I'd also have to say the Kawi Concours were probabaly 3rd most common bike there behind Goldwing and Harley touring bikes

BTW...one final thought not really related to Americade. The Comfort Suites hotel located on Rt 9 about 3 miles south of Lake George is were we stayed. It was absolutely the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The whole place was very clean and well taken care of. The rooms were large and well appointed. The continental breakfast was better than anywhere else I've been. The staff was very nice and helpful when you asked them something. On top of that, if you're an AMA member, you get a discount on their room rates. If anyone's planning on going to Americade or just passing through the Lake George area, this is THE place to stay.
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Americade was always on my list of things to do, but I never got around to.

Sounds like you had a good time.

a
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

Greg that looked like it was a great trip! I'm due for a few of those :thumbup:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

B DIRT wrote:Greg that looked like it was a great trip! I'm due for a few of those :thumbup:
you can go to Americade but you can't come along on a DS ride like the Durty Dabbers? :screwy:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

kEN Im so busy I cant even look on here to know when the rides are :wallbash:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

B DIRT wrote:kEN Im so busy I cant even look on here to know when the rides are :wallbash:
7-Mountains is this Sunday, now you know.......
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr