I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

DAMN new

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
spotster

DAMN new

Post by spotster »

Hello all,
I was very glad to find this site. It is nice to know there are other DS riders in the area. My bike is an 08 KLR650. I learned to ride on the street so I am not the most experienced off road rider around. I've taken 2 extended trips out West to the forest service roads of Idaho, Montana and Oregon. Both times I combined Nez Perce GS (Idaho) ride with my trip. It was fantastic. I would never have had the nerve to take that power line trail straight down into Hells Canyon if I wasn't following someone. The first trip was on an R100GSPD and the last was on the KLR. Got the KLR to have something smaller than the GS but still big enough to go cross country. On the KLR it just requires patience because it only goes so fast, hence the extended trip. Due to the size of the bikes and my personal reservations I have not attempted much single track. I hope that by riding with other more experienced off road riders I will pick up some more skills plus it is so much fun to ride with others.

Recently I've been exploring the National Forests of Virginia. It is lots of fun but if I were riding with others I would tackle some of the more challenging and remote roads. BTW I found a road in western VA a few weeks ago that had at least 3 fords off of it. I did not try any of them because the water looked cold and I did not have my USCG approved personal flotation device BUT after consulting the map it looked like a cool loop could be done that would cross them all. No pictures but if anyone is interested I can give the route numbers.

I'm going riding this weekend to revisit old fords and try some new ones so if you see a bright green KLR mid-stream and an orange jacket it is me. If I am not moving stop and take a picture to post. Hey if the tank is only half full will the bike kind of float?

Sorry to be so long winded (too much coffee). I look forward to meeting some of you in the future. Happy trails.

Kathy
Odenton, MD
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: DAMN new

Post by Rut Row »

Welcome Kathy! And it is DAMN time you found us! :thumbup:

Hmmm... we already have a Kathy - we'll have to start serializing names soon :lol2:

Is your KLR your only bike? I had one that I rode to James Bay on (3600 miles, one numb butt and 11 days). With patience, you can go almost anywhere. SallyDog has proved that with enough beers you can ride ride some serious single-track on one.

:peep:

It is good to have some more estrogen on the board!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Actually you are Kathy #4. What is it with all the Kathy's cropping up lately, I mean I know it is my favorite name and all....

Welcome aboard!! I, and all the other DAMN Kathy's and DAMN riders look forward to riding with you!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

btw Kathy - we have a good size contingent of DAMN guys/gals in/near Bal'mer. Make sure you get in on some of their local rides.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
spotster

Post by spotster »

The KLR is my only bike at this time. At various times I've had up to 3. Just moved to Odenton from Annapolis in January. No garage in the new place and condo board will probably be a pain about too many. However, I do have my eye on a new F800GS and Bob's is only a few minutes away for a test drive. Looking to use the GS for longer trips when I don't have time to go 65mph the whole way. Sometimes it is nice to be able to pass traffic on the Interstate in less than 5 minutes too.

There are a lot of Kathys around. Sometimes I have been Kathleen or Kate due to the crush of Cathys.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

spotster wrote:The KLR is my only bike at this time. At various times I've had up to 3. Just moved to Odenton from Annapolis in January. No garage in the new place and condo board will probably be a pain about too many. However, I do have my eye on a new F800GS and Bob's is only a few minutes away for a test drive. Looking to use the GS for longer trips when I don't have time to go 65mph the whole way. Sometimes it is nice to be able to pass traffic on the Interstate in less than 5 minutes too.

There are a lot of Kathys around. Sometimes I have been Kathleen or Kate due to the crush of Cathys.
I like the way this is shaping up - get a 800GS and then trade the KLR for a small street-legal dirt bike :loveit:
Ken
Kath

Post by Kath »

Hello and welcome, Kathy!! I am Kath...short for Kathleen and because guys are not so observant, I don't use a "y" at the end but they never seem to notice. ;) LOL

My husband and I live in Sykesville, but my sister lives in Odenton in Piney Orchard, so I come down there to visit her and my new nephew routinely. I have been riding street for several years, but only started dual sporting about a year ago. I have a wee little XT225. My street bike is a sport tourer kinda bike. I am mostly relegated to riding alone and commuting right now on my street bike and riding the dual sport on the weekends with my husband when we can get a sitter for our 3 1/2 year old.

You should come to the 777 ride in July!
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

Hey Kathy #4- Welcome to DAMN!
We're right across rte. 3 from you in Crofton. Not too much riding in our area but let me know if you find anything! Check out John's Hopkins Rd, Chesterfield Rd, and Honeysuckle Ln for some very nice pavement close by.
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com
spotster

Post by spotster »

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. The 777 ride looks like fun. I'll post a reply to that thread. Any excuse to get out and ride works for me. I love WVA.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Over the next month or so, when I have some more time, I'll finish the official route for a DAMN dualsport ride. It will be a ride from Frederick up into Michaux. It will be an easy ride doable on any of the big bikes.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200