Offroad gear

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
badguy
DAMN Expert

Offroad gear

Post by badguy » Thu May 13, 2010 6:39 pm

So I'm brand new to anything offroad, but spending a day going 40mph or less made me realize I want some kind of mesh MX gear or something to wear with the armor I got. I saw these at Competition Accessories and thought it might be a good deal...any reason I shouldn't go for it?

http://www.compacc.com/p/Answer-2010-Io ... nt/1004010

http://www.compacc.com/p/Answer-2010-Io ... ys/1004009

I want a helmet and goggles too, but that can wait since my street helmet is doing ok for now. Any suggestions on those? I was thinking about trying a DS helmet so I can use the shield on the road (maybe the AFX?) but maybe I should just go with an MX helmet since I already have something for the street...

What do you think?

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Offroad gear

Post by Bucho » Thu May 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Not to be negative, but why do you want a motocross jersey and pants? They don't really provide any protection or do anything special in my opinion. A couple years ago I bought a package deal of MX armor, boots, pants, and jersey. Not that theres anything wrong w/ them. I guess they are pretty comfortable. But most MX pants don't have pockets.
If you want them, then get them, but its nothing that you need. The MX armor is the important stuff.

I like MX helmets for offroading. They are a little bit cooler in the heat, and I like wearing googles. When I wear a regular full face street helmet I always end up w/ dust floating around inside my face shield. I guess my eyes are sensitive, it bugs my eyes.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady » Thu May 13, 2010 8:46 pm

I agree with Bucho on the pockets thing, I prefer to have pockets on my riding pants. However, I admittedly rarely use them because I usually ride with a hydration pack which is where I store my stuff that would usually be in my pockets. I like just about any Jersey as long as it's vented. A jersey isn't really needed, but I feel it somewhat protects the mesh on my pressure suit from snags and tears. Replacing a jersey is much cheaper than a new pressure suit. I also prefer MX helmets with goggles and think they keep you somewhat cooler. Goggle lenses are also cheap to replace when scratched from wiping dust and mud from them with my gloves or shirt.

badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy » Thu May 13, 2010 10:35 pm

Good points guys. I guess I just figured I wanted the jersey to go over the armor (I didn't even think about the armor mesh getting snagged, just thought I'd want something over it) and the pants were to go with it. I'm just looking for something comfortable for dirt riding and I thought the pants would provide a little protection.

On the other hand, your opinions are the other reason I posted up - if there's no good reason to buy MX pants, then I won't buy them. Like I said, I'm new, so I'm definitely open to advice :thumbup:

I've got a pair of Fieldsheer mesh pants that I've worn before but they don't seem very good since I don't think I could fit kneepads under them. I'd like something that might give me some abrasion protection, but I don't know what to look for.

Thanks for the advice :cheers:

Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al » Fri May 14, 2010 1:26 am

Have a look at http://www.newenough.com/ and see if they have any Klim dual-sport pants. They ROCK.

badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy » Fri May 14, 2010 8:17 am

No Klim at newenough, but I'll keep an eye out for them, thanks!

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Fri May 14, 2010 8:51 am

Grady has a good point about wearing something over your mesh jacket. In hot weather I used to just wear my mesh armor as my outer layer, till I was in the Pine Barrens and got my jacket tangled up in some prickers and ripped it a little. I now always wear a layer over it. A jersey is nice in hotweather, though any baggy long sleeved shirt would do...

For pants I wear an old pair of BDU pants. They don't give any more abrasion protection then jeans, but hold up well enough offroad. (If I'm dualsporting, then I'm wearing my street gear anyway.)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady » Fri May 14, 2010 9:05 am

A little more pricey, but I seem to see lots of people wearing these jerseys. :lol2:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1102&start=0

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Fri May 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Grady wrote:A little more pricey, but I seem to see lots of people wearing these jerseys. :lol2:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1102&start=0
:lol2: :loveit: :thumbup:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Fri May 14, 2010 3:32 pm

The only reason I wear mx gear (pants) is that they are cut to fit comfortable when riding. The pair I wear have a lot of mesh, great for cooling the "boys". Function over form for me.

Having said that I''ve gone to wearing over the boot DS type pants. For the pockets. I can still fit knee pads under (or over). I also have a couple pairs of DS type pants with integrated armor.
The piece I like the best is the upper body armored pressure suit thingy.
I have some Klim pants,and they are nice, kinda skimpy on pockets.

I have an exstensive collection (not that I planned to) and it was a learning process.

Oh, yeah. Most of my gear is crash tested. :thumbup:
Bruce