I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Lacing Rims

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Lacing Rims

Post by Rut Row »

Who in the DAMN area can lace rims?

I bought off of FleaBay a set of hubs for the Wasp and want to get some new rims laced up. My plan is to put sumo tires (21/18) on these rims for street riding.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Re: Lacing Rims

Post by the dude himself »

Kyler wrote:Who in the DAMN area can lace rims?

I bought off of FleaBay a set of hubs for the Wasp and want to get some new rims laced up. My plan is to put sumo tires (21/18) on these rims for street riding.
Between my OCD, ADD, and ADHD I can pretty much figure out anything. In college I tore the engine out of my Jeep, stripped and rebuilt it (increasing the displacement by a Liter), and reinstalled it with just the parts and a few pictures off the internet for references. Show me a picture of the pattern when finished and give me a few hours with it and it'll be DAMN near perfect.

The real difficult part is truing a used wheel that's been dinged, but I've done that several times on ultralight, bicycle, and motorcycle wheels too now so it's no sweat.

Or you looking for a pro?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

the dude himself wrote:

Between my OCD, ADD, and ADHD I can pretty much figure out anything. In college I tore the engine out of my Jeep, stripped and rebuilt it (increasing the displacement by a Liter), and reinstalled it with just the parts and a few pictures off the internet for references. Show me a picture of the pattern when finished and give me a few hours with it and it'll be DAMN near perfect.

The real difficult part is truing a used wheel that's been dinged, but I've done that several times on ultralight, bicycle, and motorcycle wheels too now so it's no sweat.

so in other words, if I find the rim, the spokes, the rubbers and keep you away from the beer until the rims are trued, you can do the job? :hug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Kyler wrote:
the dude himself wrote:

so in other words, if I find the rim, the spokes, the rubbers and keep you away from the beer until the rims are trued, you can do the job? :hug:
I might want to get in on this is possible.... Thanks to OSD (orangeshirtdude, whojust joined ;)) I picked up rims for a KTM lc4 - the rear is a bolt up, but the the front has a slightly different hub... My current rims and spokes are rusty, but the hub is in good shape.. I was hoping to swap hubs - use the current one with the better spokes and rims...

willing to help - bring beer - $$ ... What ever..... perhaps a hub day or something...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Kyler wrote:
the dude himself wrote:

:popcorn:

http://www.mototips.com/how-articles/78 ... e-rim.html

How bad can it be?
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

I have only ever laced and trued up one set of moto wheels (this month for class I am taking), but...I have probably built up 200-250 bicycle wheels over the last 18 years (I am a pro bicycle technician). The process is nearly identicle.
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

chasbo wrote:I have only ever laced and trued up one set of moto wheels (this month for class I am taking),
Was basketweaving 101 full?
:lol2: :poser: :harhar:
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I actually enjoy lacing rims. Very satisfying to give it that last spin and see the dial gauge needle barely flicker.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

the dude himself wrote:
chasbo wrote:I have only ever laced and trued up one set of moto wheels (this month for class I am taking),
Was basketweaving 101 full?
:lol2: :poser: :harhar:
:jack:
Ken
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

Nope, I am taking "Advanced Shoe Lacing 201" :lol2: