I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

KTM620Adv Exhaust relocation for Hard Bags

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

KTM620Adv Exhaust relocation for Hard Bags

Post by hondahawkrider »

I have gotten back into working on the KTM 620Adv rebuild (with some help as chit like doing the main shaft bearing is SO outta my league) and now hope to get it back on the road this year (just scored some used rims locally for cheap, which was the last big item I needed - it's been slow going cause I am doing it on the cheap)..

However, I have dilemna on how I put the exhaust on it.. Keep in mind the 620 Adv or EGS-e is the dual low pipe model...

it looked like this when I got it.. I have a used EU type dual exhaust to replace the ratty supertrapps as shows - they sit the exact same - but have you standard endcap on em..

Anyway, I want to use this for ADv trips/touring like the 777 ride and riding out to Mdubya's neck of the woods.. My concern is stream/water crossings - to me these pipes are WAAAAY too low - but I'd like to keep the bags as well... The standard or common fix is to find a later model high exhaust from a 640Adv or other LC4... The problem is that to do that it would require a different rear subframe is beefier

Apparently the Egs-e was the steet/base version of the model that KTM used in the Paris Dakar Rally - the rear was beefed up to handle the added weight of rear gas tanks - and the exaust couldn't be up high... To be honest I like the idea of bending up the exhaust like the rally bikes... You know to keep it outta the water - and well to keep em outta the way if I happen to sink it like this

The one above is bent slightly up - which is common.. like so...

My problem is that where the hell do I mount the bags if I do that... I have thought of the following..

Bend up the pipes but add and exention to pipe to make the canister stick out the back more and to try and rig the bags forward or maybe increasing the space between the bike and bag mounts and running the exhust up into the space..

Something like this
Powerpoint skills I have not...

Anyone got any ideas...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Re: KTM620Adv Exhaust relocation for Hard Bags

Post by chasbo »

You could consider ditching the exhisting hard bags for a Giantloop softbag. That would allow you to haul about as much stuff and not worry about the exhaust location.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

chasbo wrote:You could consider ditching the exhisting hard bags for a Giantloop softbag. That would allow you to haul about as much stuff and not worry about the exhaust location.
+1
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Kyler wrote:
chasbo wrote:You could consider ditching the exhisting hard bags for a Giantloop softbag. That would allow you to haul about as much stuff and not worry about the exhaust location.
+1
The giant loop still hangs down the sides in the back.. if I bend up the pipes there would be the added risk of catching on fire - wouldn't there..

As that I will be AdvTouring - it may mean going to places besides camping .. friends - motels - etc. I did softbags forever - but since getting hard bags- I find it hard to go back.. No futzing with straps - bungies - zip ties - etc.. it's just click click and go....

The one suggestion that I like so far is to chuck the pelicans and put a bigger givi top trunk on the rear..
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

hondahawkrider wrote:The one suggestion that I like so far is to chuck the pelicans and put a bigger givi top trunk on the rear..
that looks sooooooo dorky... :screwy:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

hondahawkrider wrote:
The one suggestion that I like so far is to chuck the pelicans and put a bigger givi top trunk on the rear..

:deal:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Kyler wrote:
hondahawkrider wrote:The one suggestion that I like so far is to chuck the pelicans and put a bigger givi top trunk on the rear..
that looks sooooooo dorky... :screwy:
And this coming from a guy who wears a neon yellow jacket that can be seen from space - is calling something 'dorky' :poser: :poser: :poser:

Well I guess if anyone would know :kumbaya:

Lets face it - I going to be riding a bigger than average dirt/dual sport/Advbike with big knobby tires, and orange and blue spraybombed paint job, with dual exhausts, AND a fairing .... :smoking: .... Most folks, including allot of motorcyclists aren't going to have clue to what it is... It'll be akin what a naturalist must have said the first time they saw a platypus.. "Okaaaaaay, WTF"

I really don't think a tail trunk is going to detract from their opinon of it.. :lol2: :harhar: :ride:
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

hondahawkrider wrote: The giant loop still hangs down the sides in the back.. if I bend up the pipes there would be the added risk of catching on fire - wouldn't there..

As that I will be AdvTouring - it may mean going to places besides camping .. friends - motels - etc. I did softbags forever - but since getting hard bags- I find it hard to go back.. No futzing with straps - bungies - zip ties - etc.. it's just click click and go..

I know of a couple guys with rally exhausts on 950/990's that use the Giantloop. That said, if you are set on hard bags, you could modify the rack to mount the bag just a touch higher and maybe use some heatshield material to protect the bag from melting.

I will be using both hard and soft bags for my 990 depending on the trip I am taking. Soft bags for dirt and solo riding and hard bags for when my whife and I 2up for vacations.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I've been thinking about this. I think he should run the exhaust straight back, then up at a 90 deg angle behind the cases - sorta like diesel stacks. :poser:
Ken
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Would it be possible to do a single exhaust routed back through the subframe ala 625?
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC