I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

expert opinions please...

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: expert opinions please...

Post by Bucho »

First off, I would say just about any thumper (w/ a few exceptions), will be way lighter and feel alot better then your KLR650.

Like Mdubya said, a set of supermoto wheels will make it alot nicer for any road riding and still be pretty nice on a dirtroad. And then having the second knobby set for those times when you are gonna do offroad.

Or are you talking about riding your bike 2-3 hours on the highway and then doing some real offroad?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

Bucho wrote:First off, I would say just about any thumper (w/ a few exceptions), will be way lighter and feel alot better then your KLR650.

Like Mdubya said, a set of supermoto wheels will make it alot nicer for any road riding and still be pretty nice on a dirtroad. And then having the second knobby set for those times when you are gonna do offroad.

Or are you talking about riding your bike 2-3 hours on the highway and then doing some real offroad?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking - an extra set of wheels for diversity. You're right, I will be happy with anything lighter/skinnier than the KLR. Figured I'd give everyone a chance to throw in their two cents. I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal and we'll see what happens...
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com
Louge

Post by Louge »

My flyweight D/Sed TE510 proved a good TAT tool, less so on Granville's single track. (Not being able to find my 13T sprocket and being out of shape didn't help any. :knary: Additionally, the Renazco's added height and width worked against me in the tight goin'.)
One ride on Max's well sorted 250 pumpkin was enough to have me perusing the KTM website and want ads. :sheep:

Boom Boom to the DAMN courtesy phone.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

I will thow my 2-cents in.
I am a fan of euro bikes and own or have owned most.
I am a Husky fan, however till Husky comes up with a wide ratio tranny for the 250 - 510 series I feel they are to gear bound for much asphalt unless you step up the geraing, then 1st is to fast for tighter woods riding.
KTM / Husaberg have that wonderful wide ratio tranny, but IMHO to burn up highway miles it is kinda like taking a race car for daily driving, just a waste of the engine use. Yes you have to service them more often, it is a light weight hopped up engine that carries little oil, it needs more love.
Honestly, I went stupid simple for my longer distance bike with old school air cooled. Honda 400 - 650 or Suzuki 650. Strip them down and throw on a big plastic tank and modest exhaust and just ride the shit out of it. If you drop it, what are you going to break?? No rads to bust, no water pumps going out, and the list goes on. DR 350 is also worth throwing a few dollars into.
Save your WR for what is was designed to do, sell off the KLR with the garage door rads and go old school air cooled.
Just my 2-cents.
PM OldmanX, you might twist his arm into selling his XR-600, best of both worlds (unless you need a button to push).
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Louge wrote:Additionally, the Renazco's added height and width worked against me in the tight goin'.)[/i]
I thought the height was about right. I didn't have any trouble flat footing it. :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris