I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

expert opinions please...

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
biffer99
DAMN Expert

expert opinions please...

Post by biffer99 »

Ok, after being spoiled at Granville's in the woods, riding the DS ride there and on the 10th, I am going to go for a new bike. I enjoy my wr450's weight but don't think it can handle dual-sporting...that's my enduro bike.

I want something smaller to replace the KLR but something I can still ride out to see you guys in the east. My current options are the DRZ400 and the WR250R. The WR is about 20 lbs lighter and is fuel injected. The DRZ is a 400. Prices are relatively the same. I've seen you guys do some silly things on both (BigBird & mdubya). BigBird doing hill climbs at Barton, riding the single-track, and then hopping right onto the DS ride. Mdubya...well....I don't think there's anything you can't do on that DRZ...no matter the tire.

I know, I know...it's the rider - but I'd like to see someone do those on the KLR. And while I'm sure there's someone that has or is willing to, I have a feeling it wouldn't be the weapon of choice!

I want something I can take on the options during a Dual Sport ride...obviously the KLR is not going to cut it. I figured I'd throw it out there to my DAMN friends and see what you all have to say about it.
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Re: expert opinions please...

Post by Junior »

:lurker:
:shrug:
I think the ktm guys will say. ktm
I like my dr, it does what i need.
What won`t the 450 do?
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

jr-n-the mule wrote::lurker:
What won`t the 450 do?
Yeah, I expected a lot of KTM answers. Same reason on those as on the 450 - maintenance. I need longer legs than I feel I can get out of the 450. I like to ride down to shenandoah, ride the ride, and ride back. That's a bit too many miles for the 450. I could do it but I'd have to stop 4 times to change the oil!

I suppose I could be convinced on the KTM (they do look very nice, are light, and I'm sure everyone has them for a reason). And, in all fairness, I don't know anything about the KTM maintenance schedule...just going off rumor. There is a $3k price difference though (new).
Chris
'08 WR450F - plated

Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

biffer99 wrote:
jr-n-the mule wrote::lurker:
What won`t the 450 do?
Yeah, I expected a lot of KTM answers. Same reason on those as on the 450 - maintenance. I suppose I could be convinced on the KTM (they do look very nice, are light, and I'm sure everyone has them for a reason). And, in all fairness, I don't know anything about the KTM maintenance schedule...just going off rumor. There is a $3k price difference though (new).
I will say this, even my dr 650 with me @250lbs feels small on long rides. If you have a good woods bike like the wr450. Why bother getting another small bike. Just curious, b/c i would like to get a small woods bike.
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

jr-n-the mule wrote: I will say this, even my dr 650 with me @250lbs feels small on long rides. If you have a good woods bike like the wr450. Why bother getting another small bike. Just curious, b/c i would like to get a small woods bike.
The KLR is great for me on long rides. I could ride that thing forever and not think twice. I know a smaller bike would be less comfy on those longer rides but that's a price I'm willing to pay in order to have something I can play with when I get where I'm going. There is no riding here...if I'm going to ride the wr450, I have to tote it in the truck. I want to be able to ride to the fun even if that means a sore butt and taking the slow (scenic) route. I'd love to be able to have 5 different bikes but the wife and garage space aren't going to let that fly...for now.
Chris
'08 WR450F - plated

Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

biffer99 wrote:I suppose I could be convinced on the KTM (they do look very nice, are light, and I'm sure everyone has them for a reason). And, in all fairness, I don't know anything about the KTM maintenance schedule...just going off rumor. There is a $3k price difference though (new).
I just installed an HT oil cooler on mine to increase the oil capacity and reduce the oil change interval. There are lots of posts on ADV and KTM Talk about guys vastly exceeding the recommended maintenance intervals.

I plan on doing long rides on mine - such as the 777 ride. Not sure I'd do the TransLab on it but one guy did the TAT on one.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

I'm a Husky fan myself. Talk with Louge, he's done some distance on his Husky.
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

Grady wrote:I'm a Husky fan myself. Talk with Louge, he's done some distance on his Husky.
ooh, that is true.
Chris
'08 WR450F - plated

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

The title of the thread rules out any comments from me. :ride:

It is a curious question you pose. I have done 500 mile days on the DRZ. Parts of those days were great, the rest were miserable. I had a KTM Duke (old style with old style LC4 motor). It had a great comfy seat and could cruise at 80-90 mph. That is where the DRZ is lacking. However, the DRZ was more fun when the ride started to get interesting due to being narrow, lighter, and longer softer suspension. I would recommend an older LC4, but they shake horribly.

These days I am a fan of trucking it in.

If you think about going with a DRZ, I would recommend the SM model with an extra set of dirt wheels. The SM model has suspension which is much better suited for road riding and faster dirt and 2 track ORV riding.

The KTM 525 and the Husky 510 would be good choices (and better in every conceivable way to the DRZ) too. The 6 speed EXC gear box allows any speed from idling in 1st to 100 mph in 6th.

<novel/>.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

mdubya wrote:The title of the thread rules out any comments from me. :ride:

It is a curious question you pose. I have done 500 mile days on the DRZ. Parts of those days were great, the rest were miserable. I had a KTM Duke (old style with old style LC4 motor). It had a great comfy seat and could cruise at 80-90 mph. That is where the DRZ is lacking. However, the DRZ was more fun when the ride started to get interesting due to being narrow, lighter, and longer softer suspension. I would recommend an older LC4, but they shake horribly.

These days I am a fan of trucking it in.

If you think about going with a DRZ, I would recommend the SM model with an extra set of dirt wheels. The SM model has suspension which is much better suited for road riding and faster dirt and 2 track ORV riding.

The KTM 525 and the Husky 510 would be good choices (and better in every conceivable way to the DRZ) too. The 6 speed EXC gear box allows any speed from idling in 1st to 100 mph in 6th.

<novel/>.

Yeah, DAMN it...just when I thought I had it narrowed down. The Husky looks like a pretty good option...6th gear, power, light, FI, etc. Crap, I just want them all...I guess that puts me in the right DAMN group though.
Chris
'08 WR450F - plated