I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Got a helmet camera??

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
CapoGreg

Got a helmet camera??

Post by CapoGreg »

Sure this guy is a squid and deserved to be pulled over, but it's bullshit that it's a felony to record an audio track with your helmet camera.

http://wjz.com/local/traffic.stop.youtu ... 21320.html
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Re: Got a helmet camera??

Post by biffer99 »

Sweet. Can I go ahead and get everyone's permission now to record (just in case it happens in the future), HAHA. You hereby have mine. Ridiculous.
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

Here's the video of the actual stop. If a man in street clothes gets out of a regular car, pulls a gun and his first words are "Get off the motorcycle," he's going to find himself in a world of hurt real quick.

[youtubeurl][/youtubeurl]
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

CapoGreg wrote:Here's the video of the actual stop. If a man in street clothes gets out of a regular car, pulls a gun and his first words are "Get off the motorcycle," he's going to find himself in a world of hurt real quick.

There are two marked state police vehicles right behind the motorcycle. I would guess he was already being chased by police, and the unmarked unit is the one in front of the bike.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

Bucho wrote:There are two marked state police vehicles right behind the motorcycle. I would guess he was already being chased by police, and the unmarked unit is the one in front of the bike.
I saw that too, but I think he didn't know he was being pursued. If he knew the cops were pulling him over, you'd think he would have moved out of the travel lane to stop. If he was trying to evade he certainly wouldn't have stopped behind a line of traffic turning left across a busy road, he would have gone right, where there weren't any cars and he could have gotten away.

My main point though is about the legal issue regarding helmet camera use. I stopped to talk to 2 fisherman once while mine was recording, I never informed them or asked for consent to record. So doesn't that mean I also committed a felony?
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

CapoGreg wrote:
Bucho wrote: My main point though is about the legal issue regarding helmet camera use. I stopped to talk to 2 fisherman once while mine was recording, I never informed them or asked for consent to record. So doesn't that mean I also committed a felony?
I am not sure about Maryland but I do know that in Conn it is definitely a felony. A guy I flew with recorded a "carpet dance" at HQ, when the recorder f'd up and they found he was recording without consent he was summarily fired and is now facing State charges. Also goes to show you how cheap pilots are, you would think a guy would get a quality piece of equipment for a task like that but he went with a Wally World special. Sucks to be him.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
John Go

Post by John Go »

Bucho wrote: There are two marked state police vehicles right behind the motorcycle. I would guess he was already being chased by police, and the unmarked unit is the one in front of the bike.

This is a longer sequence. He looks behind himself going up the ramp. I can only make out the unmarked car a good way behind him. Can't tell if lights are flashing. The marked unit must pull up as he is backing away from the unmarked car. There is no second marked car behind from what I can tell. Other than not identifying himself as SP with his first words, I don't have much of an issue with what the officer did. But I don't think that backing away from someone cutting you off is that big a deal either. My bigger issue is with a law saying someone out on a public street can't record video. Does that mean the thugs, I mean cops, beating that idiot in college park the other week can arrest that camera person for the same thing? The only valid use of laws like that are to cover over official misconduct.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

John Go wrote:My bigger issue is with a law saying someone out on a public street can't record video. Does that mean the thugs, I mean cops, beating that idiot in college park the other week can arrest that camera person for the same thing?[/url] The only valid use of laws like that are to cover over official misconduct.
The statute frequently cited is Section 10-402. If the audio is turned off, the video does not appear to violate the statute. Regardless, one might argue it is time to lobby our State representatives for a change in the law.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

The way I see things is, If you're being an ass, then deal with what comes to you. The guy on the bike was speeding and doing wheelies on the highway. If he happened to get a gun pulled on him, so be it. If he had happened to crash, I'd laugh and keep on driving without calling 911. In the College Park video, you can't hear the audio. Who knows what that kid was saying, although police lying about what happened sucks too. But I believe some people need a good whooping once in a while, even if it's for their mouth. Sometimes I think "civil rights", get in the way of "justice". I don't agree with people abusing power, but I do think that sometimes people continue to be asses because nothing is ever done about it. People are so DAMN quick to call the police or a lawyer nowadays. The College park video, that whole crowd runs away as soon as the one guy starts getting "wrongfully" beaten. You mean there wasn't one person in the crowd who thought it was wrong and would at least attempt to step in or voice out. So you get a beating, right or wrong, either way no one died. Life isn't always "fair". I've had my problems with the police, but I give them total respect. I could never carry a gun and deal with the shit and people they sometimes deal with, I guess I don't have that kind of self control. I know this ramble is a little off topic, but it's something I've always felt strong about. Shit happens, deal with it and learn from it. :thumbup:
JaxObsessed

Post by JaxObsessed »

I gotta +1 Grady.
LEO's have a tough job. Who's to say a friggin bank wasn't robbed by a guy on a red bike? Or what if the rider had put his hand in his jacket?
Being a panzy, I have the huge respect for LEOs. I can't imagine the shit they see and the stones it takes to do their job. That said, I feel that the abuse of power can be a serious issue, but it's not like he knocked the guy in the head or anything. Hell, he didn't even point the weapon at the rider!
Cut the LEO a break. Not that you asked for it but.....my 2c.

I don't think the cam would have been an issue, if the vid had not been made public.