I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Beaverdam Ford

Fords and only Fords! No Chevys, no Buicks, no Turbo-Yugos either. Post the coordinates and a description of the creek crossing. Interesting dirt or gravel roads only - no asphalt! Also post your awesome ADV GPS tracks (.gpx files)
badguy
DAMN Expert

Beaverdam Ford

Post by badguy »

UPDATE:
After crossing (and according to the guy trying to get the horse truck unstuck :shrug:) it seems that it's better to sort of follow the bend in the road and swing downstream to keep out of deeper waters. The bottom was pretty sandy and I ended up losing balance and accidentally turning upstream to try and stay up. This put me deeper than I had expected but it was still shallow enough that I didn't suck any water into the engine :thumbup: Basically, do what the guy in front of me did...

[vimeourl][/vimeourl]

ORIGINAL POST:
I haven't crossed it yet, but checked it out yesterday. I'm not sure how far the DAMN region stretches, but it's out in VA in Philomont, southwest of Leesburg. It's on the west side of Jeb Stuart Rd off Snickersville Turnpike, which runs through some nice farmland.

GPS: 39.05384, -77.75166
Attachments
beaverdam ford.JPG
Last edited by badguy on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pcoburn
DAMN n00b

Re: Beaverdam Ford

Post by pcoburn »

It was a little flooded on Saturday...

I decided not to cross. The 'stream' is all the way in the back of the picture and was running like a major river. I did find plenty of other water crossings though - unintentional ones from the flooding. Biggest I went through was on Oatlands Rd right before it hit Route 15. Road was flooded about 50-60ft wide and 2ft deep. Didn't stop to take a picture though.
2005 Husqvarna TC 450 - plated and ready to ride
1999 KTM 300 EXC - my old man woods bike
SOLD! 2007 XR650L - used for TN-UT TAT last summer
pcoburn
DAMN n00b

Post by pcoburn »

Another shot here -

badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

WOW "little flooded" is an understatement! I think I got a picture near the "not recommended for vehicles" sign too...I'll post it up for reference.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Awesome. Love the sign. Don't let Grady or Kyler near that. They would splash all the water out in no time. :lol2:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

There is a road in Brookville, just North of Olney in Montgomery County that floods pretty bad at this bridge. There will be 3 feet of water and some guy in a Honda Civic will try to cross it... I always get a kick out of it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

Hey Bucho!

That used to be part of my daily commute from Germantown to the MVA in Glen Burnie on the GS. I rode through it one day as the fire department was coming from the other side. I wasn't paying much attention to them until I crossed, but they had lines and poles out, as well as a camera documenting my impending doom! I'd crossed it that morning, and as long as you started out as far up river as possible and planned on giving up ground it was easily doable. Certainly not the worst crick I've ridden across.

Anyway they chastised me quite a bit. I hadn't realized how many cars have been swept off the road there, including a few drownings?
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

That's from the 7th. There was a lot less water, the bike is in the same spot for both pics. I need to break my fording cherry and stop being a wuss...I probably could have made it.
pcoburn
DAMN n00b

Post by pcoburn »

badguy - looks like maybe you're at the sign on the other side of the ford? I was coming in from the east (from Snickersville Tpke) - were you coming from the west - St. Louis/Unison?

Looks very different though - amazing to think what a difference the snow melt and rain makes... Been dry all week and in the 70's on Saturday, so maybe time for another run at it?
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

Hmm, now that you mention it, I guess that is a different sign...

I took the picture on Jeb Stuart Rd as I was heading west from Snickersville. It sounds like we were going the same direction, but we were definitely in two completely different places :shrug: Were you on Beaverdam Bridge Road?