I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Went dirt riding today...

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Roadracer_Al

Went dirt riding today...

Post by Roadracer_Al »

As you may recall, in November I injured my knee in a tank-slapper incident on the DRZ.

I've been doing my PT regular like, and it's been improving steadily, but v e r y s l o w l y.

I had the opportunity to go to an OHV park this weekend, and decided to give it a whirl. I stuck to the "green/easy" trails (they're all marked like a ski slope with green, blue and black) for the most part, and did a couple blue trails without difficulty. I'm definitely out of shape, and out of practice, but the knee held up pretty well!

I guess that's a milestone. That makes me pretty happy.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Went dirt riding today...

Post by Bucho »

What bike did you take? That old CanAm or the DRZ?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

:thumbup: Excellent news. I know I was apprehensive at the Sandblast even though it was nearly a month since my knee was scoped. The CTi knee braces are awesome too.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Jealous!

:roost:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I took the DRz - the CanAm has brake issues. The front end was replaced, and I don't know what model the brakes are from. The seals are bad, won't bleed, and need replaced. I don't know enough about hydraulics to get generic replacements, and don't expect Brembo to sell me parts based a photo. Pretty much the easiest brake solution is to swap in a complete master cylinder and caliper from a recent MX bike.

Plus, I haven't gotten around to fixing the leaky crank case issue - I've been busy with other mechanical fun and games. Zina's DR was making some horrid noises, so I pulled the motor for a complete overhaul. Turns out that someone drowned the bike and didn't properly or quickly drain the oil -- lots of stuff was rusty inside, including the small con-rod end.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... p?t=872119

Ken, I'm with you -- I'm going to ask my ortho to prescribe some proper knee braces. I didn't ride for very long, maybe 2 hours, but any longer and the DAMN Asterisk braces give me blisters.

Yeah, Mdubya, I'm finally warming up to the CA weather. :thumbup:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Ken, I'm with you -- I'm going to ask my ortho to prescribe some proper knee braces. I didn't ride for very long, maybe 2 hours, but any longer and the DAMN Asterisk braces give me blisters.
I had the same problem with the Asterisk braces I had - but my main problem was my bowed legs! :lol2:

Your insurance may cover them - make sure your Doc writes for both braces. My doc originally was only going to script for 1. :screwy:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Roadracer_Al wrote: Yeah, Mdubya, I'm finally warming up to the CA weather. :thumbup:

The locals are pretty awesome too. :lol2:

***offensive language warning!!!***

[youtubeurl][/youtubeurl]
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Yeah, we got som'a that.

I don't hang out in that part of town.

Heh. Belgian.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Roadracer_Al wrote:I took the DRz - the CanAm has brake issues. The front end was replaced, and I don't know what model the brakes are from. The seals are bad, won't bleed, and need replaced. I don't know enough about hydraulics to get generic replacements, and don't expect Brembo to sell me parts based a photo. Pretty much the easiest brake solution is to swap in a complete master cylinder and caliper from a recent MX bike.
If it's the same small bodied Brembo caliper as used on my KTM 504, it's an "F05" caliper and maybe a 15mm master cylinder (measure the bore to be sure). Parts are fairly easy to get - they're the same as those used on small Moto Guzzis such as the V50. Here's one source:
- seal kit: http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=1283
- pistons: http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=927
- master cylinder kits: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?cPath=110_112
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

<object width="384" height="313"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="384" height="313" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>