I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

XR400R Farkle fest

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Re: XR400R Farkle fest

Post by XRAnimal »

Ferdinand wrote:Hurry up and get that bike done and test out that Q4 the sale ends March 31st. :lol2:
Go here to learn more about XR400 exhausts:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... p?t=879147

Wish I had read this sooner, may have made another choice.
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Nice nail polish, Animal. :amazon:
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Post by XRAnimal »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Nice nail polish, Animal. :amazon:
That's not polish, I really suck using hammers. The photo holding the foot peg is my dog's paw. Kinda freaky huh.
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Post by XRAnimal »

Here we are, the snow is melting, temps are climbing and I've run into a few delays with the XR :dirtdog: . The main issue is with the suspension. The good news is the stock rear spring rate is right for my weight so I save a nice chunk of $. The bad news is the springs I need for the forks are on backorder. This weekend I'll find out when they'll be delivered.

Also, I had ordered an FMF Q4 for my '03. The sleeve that came with it didnt fit. Trying to expand the header tube by hand to fit the FMF was a bitch so I stopped. Today I took the header to a Monroe shop and they expanded the header tube to fit the FMF without a sleeve. Perfect "slip on" fit done in 5 minutes, and it was no charge. :thumbup:
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Post by XRAnimal »

Shit, suspension dude can't source the exact springs he wants to install in the XR forks and I'm at a stand still on the farkling. He's putting them back together re- valeved and old springs so I can get this pig back together. I need to ride off road. My ass is getting spoiled by the NT.
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

XRAnimal wrote:My ass is getting spoiled by the NT.

Go down to DuPont Circle... they'll tighten it up for you... :jack:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Post by XRAnimal »

Kyler wrote:
XRAnimal wrote:My ass is getting spoiled by the NT.

Go down to DuPont Circle... they'll tighten it up for you... :jack:
I don't know what that means, but I think i don't want to know. :nono:
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere
Louge

Post by Louge »

Norm brought his XR400 on the TAT ride. 4200 miles later (we started on the Eastern Shore to make it a coast-to-coast ride with 3 days in Moab) he had had one failure, his 1157 taillight burned out one of the filaments. This was replaced at a local hardware store out West. While we skittered like waterbugs up the Colorado passes on the flyweight dualsported Husqy TEs, Norm simply auto clutched straight up.

I'm thoroughly enjoying your XR Farkle Fest Animal, carry on :thumbup:
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Post by XRAnimal »

Progress, finally. Picked up the suspension Sunday morning. Pics coming tonight.
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Post by XRAnimal »

So, with a Boom Boom ride being planned for 3/21, I suddenly had felt a sense of urgency to get the pig back together. I called the suspension dude and made an appt to pick up my suspension this past Sunday, without the new fork springs. They're on back order.

Ready to start the thrashing in the bike shop.

The blue tape on the number plate represents the custom look it may end up being. Not sure yet, need to focus on the mechanical parts before the cosmetic farkling :rickey:

I put the rear end together first to balance the bike so I could install the front end. Have the new fender, cool ass fork boots, RSW triple clamp and the RSW fork brace (more on this later)

I'm not warm and fuzzy about the RSW fork brace. I installed it and tightened it to where I thought it was gonna stay put. I did a quick compression test and the forks didnt rebound. I eased up on the mounting bolts and then the forks were ok. I had to mess with the "tighten/check the fork" process for awhile until everything felt ok. To me it doesn't feel like the mounting bolts are torqued enought to ensure the brace stays put. A guy on TT told me I'd run into this and shore as shit, he was right. I may be taking the thing off, but not sure yet.

With the front & rear suspension back together, it's time to mess with some electrical goodies. After researching rear MX style fenders and such, I didn't see anything I liked enough to buy, so I decided to stick with the classic rear fender. To use the stock fender, I needed to do a little work to the tail light so it would also have brake light capabilities. This was accomplished by running a wire into the existing bulb socket, soldering it in place and making a little lump of solder for the bulb to contact, then connected the wire to the brake wire on the DS kit.

Next I installed the flush mount LCD blinkers. Also installed the LED blinker relay. Here is the end result. I wont know if it works until the first test ride, but I'm optomistic.

This is as far as I got this weekend. Check out the kick ass exhaust system.
Not shown is the new sprockets and gold o-ring chain.

I'm expecting to have this wrapped up and ready for a test ride to work later this week :thumbup:
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere