I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Tires Tires Tires

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Tires Tires Tires

Post by chasbo »

I want something more agressive for the 990 that will still do street. I know it is a compromise, but I have come up with three contenders and want to know what you guys thought. I am looking at the Conti TKC's, Dnlop 908's and MEFO Super Explorers. Any of these have to be better than the Scorps. Any input would be appreciated.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Tires Tires Tires

Post by Laoch »

TKCs :thumbup:
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

+1 on the TKCs. I'm planning on buying a second set of rims to use for dual-sport rides for the KTM and want to mount TKCs .
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

You really need 2 sets of wheels; 1 with real dirt tires, 1 with good street tires which can do dirt roads, like the Scorpions. Or you need 2 sets of tires and to be able to change tires easily. Or buy a dirt bike and leave the 990 to ST and dirt road work.

If I had the 990, I would leave it road biased and just run it down dirt roads in decent conditions.

I guarrantee none of the tires you mentioned would have made much of a difference today. The 908's would be the most aggressive though. The 990 is a big heavy thing to be chucking around on trails. Are you prepared to let it get banged up? It is fairly capable, but it is hard work off road.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

I'll vouch for the TKCs too. Had them on the Capo for 3000 miles back in the fall. They wear pretty quick, so I have them and Tourances that I go back and forth on depending where I'm riding. That being said, you will probably be surprised how well TKCs handle on the road once they get worn in. Here's a photo of my wife and I on the Dragon just short of touching down. I drug the pegs a couple times with them while riding solo and they feel almost as solid as Tourances.

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

mdubya wrote:You really need 2 sets of wheels; 1 with real dirt tires, 1 with good street tires which can do dirt roads, like the Scorpions. Or you need 2 sets of tires and to be able to change tires easily. Or buy a dirt bike and leave the 990 to ST and dirt road work.

If I had the 990, I would leave it road biased and just run it down dirt roads in decent conditions.

I guarrantee none of the tires you mentioned would have made much of a difference today. The 908's would be the most aggressive though. The 990 is a big heavy thing to be chucking around on trails. Are you prepared to let it get banged up? It is fairly capable, but it is hard work off road.
+1
unless you are gonna get a dirtbike for offroad, a second wheelset is the way to go. I have a second one for the DR and its nice being able to go from street to dirt in minutes rather then struggling w/ tire irons.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

A smaller dual sport is in the cards. Hopefully late this spring, but maybe not until later in the year. I will continue to primarily do street/dirtroads on the 990, but I won't hesitate to do easier trails. I have already done a few creek crossings and such and the bike is very capable. I don't mind dropping it or scratching/breaking it. It was bought to be ridden. Before I do trails, I will pickup some crashbars and better tires though. Regardless, I will not be going down any frozen icy road on the thing anytime soon. I just had zero control today and that was disturbing. I just want the bike to be more capable so I can have more fun. I am really leaning towards the TKC's, especially since so many of you like them. A second set of wheels isn't really something I want at the moment, the cost of those would be a big chunk of a woods bike.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Ladies and Gentlemen - another DAMN Rider tiptoes to the edge only to get sucked by the void into the Dirt Side! :loveit:

Within 6 months after buying my KLR, I had my EXC... I know the feeling well. :thumbsup:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I did that same thing as Ken, but on a KLR budget :lol2:

After dragging the KLR around GR a few times and one good crash later, I picked up my cheap little DR250 for trail riding.
Bruce
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Bucho wrote:
mdubya wrote:You really need 2 sets of wheels; 1 with real dirt tires, 1 with good street tires which can do dirt roads, like the Scorpions. Or you need 2 sets of tires and to be able to change tires easily. Or buy a dirt bike and leave the 990 to ST and dirt road work.

+1
unless you are gonna get a dirtbike for offroad, a second wheelset is the way to go. I have a second one for the DR and its nice being able to go from street to dirt in minutes rather then struggling w/ tire irons.
+2 on the second wheel set. I have two sets for the DRZ and I have it down to about 10 minutes to change between them. I even brought the second set with me to Greenridge last year so I could ride into Winchester on the bike.

For you and the 990, I would say you are better off getting a good used dirt oriented bike. As was said, the 990 is one heavy beast for getting it around on trails. I have about $600 into the second wheel set and that would be a fair chunk toward a new 250, or a good used 400-450.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.