Mountain Ridge Oct 1-2

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Loosescrew
DAMN Expert

Re: Mountain Ridge Oct 1-2

Post by Loosescrew »

My plans got a little twisted. Gonna ride with a buddy up near Rock Run on Fri. Got a b-day party for my niece on Sat.I may get there Sat. nite. If not see ya's Sunday morning. Don't wear yourselves out before I get there. :lol2:
CBR 1000RR
YZ450F supermoto
13 yz 250
21 yzx 250
98 CR 500
Piranha 190 pit bike
TyMarp
DAMN Expert

Post by TyMarp »

I went to the GNCC today,.... talk about twisted! :screwy:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

TyMarp wrote:I went to the GNCC today,.... talk about twisted! :screwy:
Tell us more! :lurker:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
TyMarp
DAMN Expert

Post by TyMarp »

I walked about 85% of the course. The first 8 miles used the regular trails, linked together and seemed mostly in the opposite direction from normal. At mile 9 they dropped into virgin woods. The terrain there was extremely rocky. Not smooth round rock, but nice jagged ones. The kind that like to cause pinch flats. Around mile 10 the mud holes started. Innocent at first, and then just monsters after they had eaten several bikes, rider and all. One particular one had about a 4" log, on a 45 degree angle. It ate everyone who dared attempt it. The riders quickly found a bypass around. After the first lap, no one went near it.

After that was some really nice smooth virgin single track. After that, Rock City! Rocks everywhere until the "rock garden". There the bolders intimidated me just walking across with 3' holes between the rocks. There was only one line on the right. It had one rock in the middle shaped like a pyramid, only with a wide top. A few riders would wheelie off it into a hole that could easily swallow the front wheel. Most riders that attempted it just rammed there skid plate into it with hopes of gliding over. That method only worked for a few riders. Most had to paddle over or get assistance from the "mud fleas". Or in theis case, the "rock fleas".

After that , more rocks until they finally dropped out of the woods and onto the MX track. Then weave across the side of the hill below the windmills. And finally up over and across the top edge of the field. Then start all over again.

I was on the course at 8 AM. I came back in going on 3 PM. I got to enjoy the kids race, the amatures, and finally the Pros and advanced riders. I was impressed at the skills of the kids. Line selection was impressive. And they fiercely attacked every obstacle on the track. Near the end of the race, the lack of stamina began to show on several fellas. But a 65 lb. guy wresteling an 85 lb. bike for two hours dosen't seem like a fair fight to me.
The amature race revealed some skilled riders. But was pretty entertaining because line selection in the mud and rocks was less impressive. After the first lap though, there were alternate lines around almost all the obstacles. Stamina was actually worse. I image lots of riders only did 2 laps. Some maybe less.
The Pros aren't even fun to watch. I was at the 10 mile point (which had it all, rocks, mud, tight single lines between trees, and mud with more mud) when the freight train came through, in about 15 seconds. Wheel to wheel, single file, zip zip, and gone. They must not have know there was mud, or tight trees, or rocks. It is hard to believe anyone can ride that fast even when you just wittnessed it. I guess that's why they get paid to ride. :shrug: Kinda reminded me of Kyler. :poser:

I hope it works out for me to enjoy come this weekend. I'll pretend I was one of those fast guys, as I'm crusing around in 2nd gear.... when I'm not pushing myself out of the mud. :target:
Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row »

TyMarp wrote:It is hard to believe anyone can ride that fast even when you just wittnessed it. I guess that's why they get paid to ride. :shrug: Kinda reminded me of Kyler. :poser:

I hope it works out for me to enjoy come this weekend. I'll pretend I was one of those fast guys, as I'm crusing around in 2nd gear.... when I'm not pushing myself out of the mud. :target:
:eyes:

who you calling fast anyway? :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
TyMarp
DAMN Expert

Post by TyMarp »

I forgot to mention the other sex. There were several really fast little gals. They looked like they were just crusing by with little effort. Although I clearly heard one repeating the "F" word as she went by. She was really smooth. I imagined she was just referring to the continued challanges. And there was one not so little gal. I was impressed with her riding too. She went by me at least twice. I say "You go girl". :thumbup:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Great report, weather looks great for this weekend.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Neat. Sounds like you had some prime spectating.

Any pics???
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee
TyMarp
DAMN Expert

Post by TyMarp »

Pics? I'm embarrassed. I just bought a new camera. I took 2 pics as soon as I got there. One looks like I intentionally took a picture of the Porta-Potties. The other is too foggy to see anything. I'm worse than a kid in a candy store. Once the bikes started, I forgot I had a camera. I've gotta get better at this.
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

Did the gal see you take a pic of her in the port-o-pootys? :brows:
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r