I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

GPS??

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
jxs2151
DAMN Expert

Re: GPS??

Post by jxs2151 »

Kyler wrote:
jxs2151 wrote:Or buy a Zumo for a gazillion dollars and only use it on the street because I have read that it sucks for off-roading.
:nono: I used mine in last year's PB300 just fine - you need the topos tho for best performance
I would agree that in an organized event that delivers routes created from software, the Zumo will work fine. However, the Zumo apparently does not handle routes converted from tracks with any kind of accuracy and since most unofficial off-road GPS routes are derived from tracks, I would say that this is a problem.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

jxs2151 wrote:
Kyler wrote:
jxs2151 wrote:Or buy a Zumo for a gazillion dollars and only use it on the street because I have read that it sucks for off-roading.
:nono: I used mine in last year's PB300 just fine - you need the topos tho for best performance
I would agree that in an organized event that delivers routes created from software, the Zumo will work fine. However, the Zumo apparently does not handle routes converted from tracks with any kind of accuracy and since most unofficial off-road GPS routes are derived from tracks, I would say that this is a problem.
I'll give it a try on the next ride and report back
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

It is all going to depend upon the route... If you use the track feature to record a route - when you try to retrace it or load it later - it may conflict with the settings on your GPS - basically if your GPS is set to use shortest route and your track you are following doublesback or comes close to a point that is later in the route, the GPS will attempt to take you to the nearest point by default and it might show two seperate paths or get confused.... I had this happend on the way back from the 777 camp and ride...

The best bet whenever you get a track is to load it into you computer and periodically place waypoints ... So the route HAS to go from A to B to C to D - etc... The downside is that if you decide to bypass a portion or a route, it will still want to take you via the waypoints , so it's just a matter of preference... You can reset it so it at the closest point to you - but you need to exit the route and come back to it - which can be a pain if you are moving...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

ahHA! now I see the issue - I've run into that before. Now, when I load someone else's route/track such as at a ride, I turn off auto-recalculation. Works perfectly.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Bdirt,

I have both a quest and a 2610 (and a 2650 and another 2610....) . They all do the same things, are water proof for the bike, auto-route, etc; but I prefer the 2610 over the quest. One reason, the 2610 has a bigger screen; second reason, the little flip up antenae on the quest has broken twice, this is a very well documented weakness of the quest. You can pick up a used quest (I) or 2610 of of ebay for $125, just make sure it includes the un-locked maps. Both of these gps's will do every thing the zumo does in terms of navigation, they just don't have the fancy mp3 player, xm radio and all the other stuff which makes the zumo so much more money...

Neither the quest nor the 2610 (nor the zumo I think) will handle tracks very easily. Like the others have said, you just have to convert the tracks into routes and deal with them that way (you can import some tracks by renamining them as the "active log" but it is a poor work around). Tracks are only really needed if you want to go off the roads that are avaialbe in the maps. If you want to heavily use tracks, then none of these units are for you, instead look at the older 276 or 376C's. They are actually marine units, but deal with all the tracks you want to have; but you have to give up the auto-routing feature with these units which is VERY key to using it on the street.

Jay
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

awesome, thanks guys, those things like mp3 and xm are things I dont want and like you said jack up the prices and I dont need that shit but every DAMN thing new has that stuff
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

B DIRT wrote:its gotta be a Garmin
There's your first mistake. I switched from Garmin to Delorme and wouldn't go back. ONE mapping program gives you topo maps, streets, trails, points of interest, and businesses. The GPS can be hooked up to a laptop while in the car for real time mapping on the larger screen. The rechargable Li-ion battery lasts me 5+ hours and a new one can be had (WITH SOFTWARE) for around $250 then add another $50 for the rechargable battery, 12v power cable, and 120v power cable.