I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Southern Maryland Dirt Riders SMDR

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
John F
DAMN Expert

Southern Maryland Dirt Riders SMDR

Post by John F »

Anybody here a member? Any info? Thanks
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Southern Maryland Dirt Riders SMDR

Post by Marylander »

I was a member a long, long time ago. I think I let my membership run out around 2000-2001 when we moved to frederick county. I enjoyed the club but I'm sure my opinions have no validity at this point in time. I wonder if they still include work days at budds. We would work a bit in the morning then could run the track and hare scrambles course the rest of the day. We would act as flaggers for events too (including nationals).

Side note, the combination of being very conservative/pain avoiding by nature and being over 30 years old when I first got on an MX track (which was budds) I was definitely a pansy. Little girls on 80s were doing the tabletops that I pretty much just rolled over. :jack:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Marylander wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:09 am
Side note, the combination of being very conservative/pain avoiding by nature and being over 30 years old when I first got on an MX track (which was budds) I was definitely a pansy. Little girls on 80s were doing the tabletops that I pretty much just rolled over. :jack:

Sound wise to me. MX riding is crazy
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Joker
DAMN Expert

Post by Joker »

John F wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:04 am Anybody here a member? Any info? Thanks
Not a member but I have contacts. Meetings are monthly in charles county. They have club property in VA and an agreement with budds over some things.
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

Thanks for the replies. We’re looking into membership
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

My riding buddy Mike and I joined SMDR. The property we’ve ridden has 3 loops laid out. The long loop is about 11 miles and is really good. Nice place to ride, and with Wicomico and the Budds woods closed, it’s about the only place to ride unless you want to get some MX time in at Budds
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Sounds fun if you live out there.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

It’s about 1:45 from here. Riding is just really limited around here.
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

"with Wicomico and the Budds woods closed,"

Is this for the season, or permanently? Are you...

...oh, right. I forgot the owner of Wicomico died. Looks like they're trying to reopen under a new LLC but the last post was September 20, talking about working with the State.

Does Budd's Creek have trails? I did the Hangover Hare Scramble there once or twice when it was there instead of Wicomico, but it was a long time ago and what I remember seemed more like ATV and even Jeep trails through the woods, which were super sloppy deep mud.

That reminds me. I keep talking about how I want to take the Stark Varg through the Hangover Hare Scramble, but I don't even know if it's going to happen this year. *UPDATE* Turns out Hangover Hare Scramble is on this year (2024)! They aren't yet opened to the public, but the event is still happening!

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

Wicomico closed around September when the owner passed away. It’s supposed to reopen next spring with improved trails and a better MX track. I’m not a fan of their MX track. As for the woods, when I first started riding again and went to Wicomico they had a well marked 1 way woods loop that was fast and fun. Over the years the woods loop changed into lots more trails from the SXCS races which was good and bad—lots of trails but no rules and riders going every which way. Hopefully they’ll straighten that out when they reopen.

Budds had a great section of woods trails that very few riders used but was unmaintained and difficult to figure out a loop. Budds closed the woods when Ezra took over. SMDR is apparently trying to get the woods reopened. The MX track is of course amazing, but is open on select days, not all the time like it used to be

That’s my understanding of stuff at Wicomico/Budds.