I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Crusty Demons of Dirt

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Crusty Demons of Dirt

Post by Firebolter »

Cool video about the making of the CDD. When this video came out in the early 90's, remember it well! Me and my buddies got a copy and watched it probably 20 times. It was the first dirt bike video that was non racing or moto cross and focused on the pure fun of extreme riding. Seth Enslow was a mad man. "Dude, you have some serious problems you need to work through"

If you have never seen CDD, it's pretty cool. Captures the 90's dirt biking scene pretty well-and was the start of freestyle-

Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Crusty Demons of Dirt

Post by smdub »

Have never seen or heard of these videos or any of these people (outside of McGrath and Pastrana.) But, that was still a pretty neat video to watch. Interesting to know how it started.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

McGrath, Kevin Hines and Fred Hoess came to Kauai once and we (my club), got them bikes and we took them to some of our most gnarly stuff we had and they ate it up. McGrath would just look up and take off up the side of a valley and leap across the dirt road up to the other side of the hill. It was epic. Riding with those guys just made me love dirt biking even more and I am one of those guys who has ridden since I can remember.

The next year I raced against the 3 of them in the Mauna Kea 200 (enduro) on the Big Island. Hines and Hoess killed it on Husky 250/125 respectively. That race is a 2 day 200 mile enduro from sea level up to 10K feet on Day 1, bikes get impounded on the mountain and you ride 100 miles back down to sea level on day 2. One of the most epic races I have ever completed. And those guys make it look easy-
Lots of cool bikes---
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Im not sure if Im a total pussy or just into dirtbiking too late in life. I feel all those guys are crazy.

I remember reading about freestyle MX in cycleworld a little bit. I remember a big article about Mike Metzger being the “backflip godfather”.

Then what really amazed me was just a couple years later I was at a motorcycle show at the DC convention center. They had this great motocycle stunt show. The riders were two brother (maybe 14 and 15 years old). They were doing ramp to ramp back flips on Honda 150s. They put on a great show but it was hard to believe these kids were doing it. Just w few years after it was the impossible trick
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Bucho wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:26 am Im not sure if Im a total pussy or just into dirtbiking too late in life. I feel all those guys are crazy.
I think most of those guys have spent a lot of time in the ER with broken bones and internal injuries. You don't get that good otherwise. NOT doing this is a measure of a sane mind. :nono:
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain