I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What does farkle mean?

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
AccidentalWheelie

What does farkle mean?

Post by AccidentalWheelie »

:shrug:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: What does farkle mean?

Post by Bucho »

Fancy, sparkly stuff to put on your bike.
Generally its practical too
aftermarket seats, HID lights, Olins shocks, just about anything out of the Tourtec catalog
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

From the FJR Forum
The term "farkle" originated in the ST1100 community in the early '90's.

The first time I heard it used there was 1994, when I initially subscribed to the STOC list. It does not mean "functional sparkle", as many farkles are neither functional nor do they sparkle. Originally, a "farkle" meant most any modification done to your motorcycle to enhance its use to the owner. It didn't originally include the mere act of installing commercially-available accessories like heated grips or Givi bags, but has since come to be generally accepted as either a mod to existing componentry, fabrication of new items, or the installation of commercially-bought accessories.

The term gradually moved to the Long Distance/Endurance Riding community around the mid-'90's, as the ST1100 was a mainstay workhorse in the Endurance Riding scene throughout the 90's (and even to today, quite frankly). Nobody farkles a motorcycle like the Endurance Riding community, because they have unique requirements for modifications to allow them to stay in the saddle for 20 out of 24 hours a day, for 11 continuous days. Many are under the mistaken impression that the LD community created the term "farkle", but that's incorrect. Regardless, once it hit the LD scene, other bike communities that are main players there (Connies, Wingabagoes, BMW's of various flavors, etc) also started using the term.

In 2002, when the FJR finally hit our shores, many LDRiders (some former ST1100 riders, some not) immediately saw that this bike would be the Next Big Platform for use in the competitive Endurance Riding arena. Thus the term "farkle" immediately became a common term in the FJR community as well.

That's the true, actual history of the term.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
AccidentalWheelie

lol i cant believe i read all that thanx kyler :lurker:....anyhoot i guess my farklization has started for my 08xr650l i uni filtered it..rejetted ...modded carb slide...XRSONLY exhaust is on the way ...and desmogged it :gdog: :loveit: :freakey:
AccidentalWheelie

new dunlop d606 and gopro hero helmet cam came today