I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Change of focus??

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Change of focus??

Post by Laoch »

So...as life goes on things change. And I gotta roll with the punches. I have three grandkids that I need to spend time with and some moderately severe hand arthritis. Carpometacarpal (CMC) joint arthritis. It sucks. I've been dealing with it for a couple of years. After riding the trials bike at Phil's spot last week, I have been "paying the Piper". Surgery is possible with major downtime and rehab. My son has acquired my GS to go with his XRL. I don't think he's giving the GS back to me :lol2:

Upshot of it all is I need to refocus my time and still have fun.

Trials bikes are out (I will keep my two vintage bikes) and enduro stuff is out. Primarily because standing and hand grip are really necessary functions.
It's back to dual sport and "Adv" riding. I can sit and not have to grip continuously.
So, I'm on the hunt for another small DS/Adv bike. Also looking at maybe an electric mountain bike.
My son has acquired my GS to go with his XRL. I don't think he's giving the GS back to me :lol2:

And...I've got two bikes to move in the very near future- My Montesa 4RT. DAMN shame because I really like this bike, it's awesome. And my 250 xcfw. Another killer bike. LMK if you're looking.
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Change of focus??

Post by Boom Boom »

Sorry to hear. When I lost my right eye vision I was ready to toss in the towel. Perception to just walking was a serious issue and still sort of is. Sold off my fast bikes just because hitting trees you can not see is never fun. You need to adapt and sounds like you have a general plan in place. The 4RT with the seat you can purchase would allow plenty of sitting and best option for access to places like Shade and trail busting. If not Wes should jump on that bike. Being a FI 4 stroke you can just drain the gas and let collect some dust with no harm. Good luck with getting your issues sorted and put behind you. Only advise I can offer is do not put it off. Dumbest thing I ever did with my knee issues was put it off.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

:thumbup: I hear you Mike. I did think about "storing" the 4rt, but Idk. Still thinking things over. I see my ortho Doc again soon.
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

welcome to geezerhood! I quit riding when I blew out my knee the second time. With my wife's health issues, I have to be mobile. A working knee is a huge component of mobility! :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Rut Row wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:17 am welcome to geezerhood! I quit riding when I blew out my knee the second time. With my wife's health issues, I have to be mobile. A working knee is a huge component of mobility! :lol2:
:lol2: How ya been Ken?

:nono: Not quitting, just more sitting on the bike.
Bruce
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

Rut Row wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:17 am welcome to geezerhood! I quit riding when I blew out my knee the second time. With my wife's health issues, I have to be mobile. A working knee is a huge component of mobility! :lol2:
Rut Row the 2nd time! Yikes! I was just thinking of you & was hoping to see you at Mountain Ridge, but now I know why. Sorry to hear.

Loach why dont you use the XRL, electric start right? & a seat like a couch! (That's why I ride an XR, helps make my butt look smaller) :killingme:
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:38 am
:lol2: How ya been Ken?

:nono: Not quitting, just more sitting on the bike.
that's how it starts ... just sitting. Next it will be just sitting while parked, then sitting beside it admiring it in the garage ... :killingme:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

When I became on a first name basis with a radiologist I did some reflecting on my approach to riding. Most of what I'm doing these days are BDR type rides and road trips but I still really also enjoy the relatively easy dual and single track at places like Bald Eagle. I was thinking about a lighter enduro but came to my senses. Harder enduro is in the rear view mirror and my WR250R is perfect for the kind of riding I'll do when I'm not on the big GS. I can ride my GS from here to Big Bend in Texas, roam around on most of what's there, and ride it home.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Last Sunday I did a bit of DS riding, followed by ST and a bit of hard enduro shit mixed in (long story) on my Husky. The amount of "issues" I experienced with my hands was significantly less than I had after a couple of hours on the trails bike. I gotta guess it's because I can sit down and not have to maintain a constant grip. So, yeah. :shrug: Maybe a seat for my Montessa? I need to look at the grips too. I have sweet Odi Rouges on the Husky. Super nice.
Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Laoch wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:21 am I have sweet Odi Rouges on the Husky. Super nice.
I put those on everything I can. (Still working on the surgery required to fit one to an electronic throttle tube.) The grey ones are softer compound. They are all slightly larger in diameter which really helps my hands. I wear a large glove, nothing abnormal. But regular thin grips, my fingers wrap around and hit my palm too early before I get a good grip.
I came from mountain bikes where I use Oury grips on everything. Those are even slightly larger than the ODI Rogues.
Oury doesn't make lock on grips though :(
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee