I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Wanted: trials bike

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
kos1
DAMN Wanabe

Wanted: trials bike

Post by kos1 »

I finally managed to save up a bit of play money so I’m looking for some help finding a fun woods/ around the yard bike. I love my DR but it’s too porky for my inexperienced ass to enjoy in anything remotely slow or technical.

Not really sure what I’m looking for but for some reason a trials bike has always appealed to me :shrug: . Most of the ones I see trading hands are 280s or 300s but that seems like a bit much for starting out in trials. 125/150s are apparently a thing but can’t say I’ve ever seen a used one for sale. Any reason why? Also starting to like the idea of something electric for the simplicity of pulling out of the house (no garage) and just being able to ride w/ no fuss… but I doubt anything elec will be available in the weak budget I’m allowing myself. Lower on the list would be a smaller displacement/ light weight enduro kinda sim. to twist's post awhile back. I realize i'm a bit all over the place but ultimately just looking for something toss-able in the woods or around the yard.

Hoping to keep it at or below 4k. Any recommendations or heads up would be appreciated. Figured one of you could help me spend my $$.
Last edited by kos1 on Thu May 26, 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
'06 DR 650
'81 GL500 (some assembly required)
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Wanted: trials or woods bike

Post by Bucho »

Ive really enjoyed my trials bike. Most of the time I use it as a “short range woods bike”. Its just fun to play on. Its fun to try terrain that would be scary on abigger bike. I bought a trials bike w/ zero intention of ever going to an actual competition. But I found competitions (at least the local MAVT), are really laid back and fun. I only do a couple a year but I like them.
Jason has a spare gasgas 125, its a really cool bike. I borrowed for a competition last year. Im well over 200lbs and it carried me up the steepest of hills without trouble.
There are a few 125’s and 200’s out there but the majority will be 250-300cc. Dont sweat it. Get the best bike you can afford. My 290 has a low compression head on it to make it alittle friendlier. Other guys use a fly wheel weight.

Hopefully Mike Pool will be along to give some advice.

But trials isnt for everybody. If you just want to go fast and have an easy ride than trials might not be for you.

I really like the electrics. The Surron/Taleria type bikes are really cool. I love the quiet. Could ride lots of places w/out bothering anybody. But yes, probably a little out of your price range.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

I'm in Severn Md, if you would like to come by sometime and give the little 125 trials a try, your welcome to do so. I have a small practice area behind the house. I'm usually home by 3 most afternoons and try to get some practice in. I have weekends and most Fridays off too.

Jason
kos1
DAMN Wanabe

Post by kos1 »

I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I work near that general area and have a fairly flexible work arrangement. This week is bad but any other time should work. pm incoming
'06 DR 650
kos1
DAMN Wanabe

Re: Wanted: trials bike

Post by kos1 »

Big thanks to Jason for letting me ride the 125 around his obstacle course and showing me the ropes. I was god awful and now have a whole new respect for how easy some of you make it look. I still enjoyed it enough to refine my search to just trials bikes. Still thinking 200/250 or smaller would be better.
'06 DR 650
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

There was some talk of a Montesa that might become available, nice bike and beginner friendly.

Jason
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

kos1 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:55 am Big thanks to Jason for letting me ride the 125 around his obstacle course and showing me the ropes. I was god awful and now have a whole new respect for how easy some of you make it look. I still enjoyed it enough to refine my search to just trials bikes. Still thinking 200/250 or smaller would be better.
Cool. Glad you got to give it a go!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

My 2018 TRS 280 RR is available. $4800. My new TRS should arrive early June. Just put fresh rubber on before last event. Located in Carlisle Pa.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
kos1
DAMN Wanabe

Post by kos1 »

:think:
'06 DR 650
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

TRS are good and modestly simple bikes....Zero issues with parts and great network of people with all the tricks for any odd thing that may come up. Selling because I have a new electric start TRS arriving soon. This will be my 4th TRS. You can PM me with questions. Or text 7 one 7. Five 5 four...thirty five 64.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr