I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Moab and Colorado Fun

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Joker
DAMN Expert

Re: Moab and Colorado Fun

Post by Joker »

I'm really sad I missed it. I had way too much going on this year. Just got licensed to adopt some kiddos so it was kinda worth it to hang behind to get that resolved.

When my wife and I went to Salida a few years ago to visit her cousins we stopped by that same restaurant. I remember it clear as day. Saw a couple of people cross the bridge on the river and tear off on bikes down the rail road tracks.
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Firebolter wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:20 pm The last 2 nights, Mark and I stayed at Lake O'Haver camp grounds. He keeps a nice Ford Diesel truck and a toy hauler/camper with a Tiger 1050 and a KTM500 in the mainland. Lake O'Haver is an AWESOME place. Nice sites, picnic table and grill at each site. Plenty of clean potties. Right next to the lake and the views are killer. 22 bucks a night. We did some fishing and caught a couple small rainbow trout. The lake is stocked and it is a good time of the year for fishing. You can ride from this park to Rainbow trail head in 10 min! It's right up the county road.
I've been swimming in that lake in June when the water temp was, well, let's just say there was some shrinkage. One of the best organized camping places on the entire TAT but it gets really busy there.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Twist wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:42 pm I've been swimming in that lake in June when the water temp was, well, let's just say there was some shrinkage. One of the best organized camping places on the entire TAT but it gets really busy there.
I took a bath in that lake on Friday and Saturday. It IS COLD! especially this time of year.It gets down to the 30's at night already. Wade out about waist level and do the plunge. But man when you come out and stand in the sunshine for a minute, it is soooo refreshing!
Lots of cool bikes---
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Nice! The pains may be catching up to me but those vids are the best medicine I know.

It's gonna be hard to match the diversity of riding places we covered in this trip but I have two years to figure it out...

SJ
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I added one of the groups pics to the list to show how beat up the cliffs on Double Top are! Getting sporty to go across that trail! Not much room for error anymore-not that there really ever was!

Lots of cool bikes---
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I was re-watching some of these videos. I've been on a lot of good riding trips and this might have been the best one.

I'd go back and ride/camp at any of those spots. Everyday was great. The Rainbow Trail in particular I'd really like to go back and finish. Definitely like to complete the entire single track section. I'd even be interested to ride the 60ish miles of Jeep trail that make up the far end.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Bucho wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:42 pm The Rainbow Trail in particular I'd really like to go back and finish. Definitely like to complete the entire single track section. I'd even be interested to ride the 60ish miles of Jeep trail that make up the far end.
Yeah, I think if you went to Sailda and just rode the stuff on the eastern side of the divide, you could have a nice 3-4 days of riding easy. Would be nice to find a place on the south end, drive up and be dropped off and ride it to the north up to 285 where we crossed and then camp at the Lake/Park where Mark and i camped out. But if you go look at the trail all the way down the mountain range, south from Salida, it might take 2 days maybe to ride all of it?

All I know is, there is a TON of other stuff if you look down that ridge line for ADV type riding too. But then again, you have the west side of US285 and all of that up to the CDT, so there is so much you have access to from that one spot you could base out of. Easy to drop over to Sargents from that park as well. Other nice thing, I drove home by myself easily in 2 days. I left Salida at 630am and was in my house, the next day at 6pm. That included a nice 6 hour sleep at a rest stop.

Finally got to check out the fishing at the Lake Ohaver and it was good, so would like to ride to some nice spots and do some fishing too. That area has so much good fishing.

https://trails.colorado.gov/map/@38.474 ... 0z/details

This site is awesome and shows all of the trails in Colorado. The highlighted section is where we stopped.
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

That is a good site, will be using to help my route scouting
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr