I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

Post by Twist »

My riding areas have been either been too sloppy wet to covered in crusty ice for the past few weeks but I've continued to tinker with it. I put a Shinko 241 on the rear and running it at 16 psi. The bottom line is that this thing is hard to ride like a trials bike but that might not be a bad thing if it forces me to improve. I think my #1 complaint about it is still going to be the throttle mapping which is fine for a trail bike but awkward to manage, as smdub and others have said, for slow technical riding.

Tire pressure in the mid-teens is about as low as I've ever run on tubes on other bikes even with rim locks. I'm wondering how low I could go if I had rim locks on these 1.4" rims? Can I even find a rim lock that would work on something that narrow?
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

They make 1.4/1.6 rim locks. You can also trim down the lightweight plastic ones.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Wes, I have run tubed tires as low as 6-8 lbs routinely in Kauai, but that was the rear and was for traction on bad mud hills and trails. I think you could safely drop to 10 lbs without a rim lock for the speeds we see on these.

I am digging the 26inch DH front rim with the Maxxis tire. Works well. Front end feels super light. Got the sag all set correctly and can't wait to fly this thing some. This little bike reminds me of all those times on my MTB's bombing the trails thinking how cool it would be if I had a small motor at times, now I do!

My TopSecretLoop (known as TSL) is the same. Wet, snow/ice covered and it is a mess right now. But I have been entertaining the old chicks on my street with my wheelie prowess up and down my street!
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Firebolter wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:03 am Wes, I have run tubed tires as low as 6-8 lbs routinely in Kauai, but that was the rear and was for traction on bad mud hills and trails. I think you could safely drop to 10 lbs without a rim lock for the speeds we see on these.

I am digging the 26inch DH front rim with the Maxxis tire. Works well. Front end feels super light. Got the sag all set correctly and can't wait to fly this thing some. This little bike reminds me of all those times on my MTB's bombing the trails thinking how cool it would be if I had a small motor at times, now I do!

My TopSecretLoop (known as TSL) is the same. Wet, snow/ice covered and it is a mess right now. But I have been entertaining the old chicks on my street with my wheelie prowess up and down my street!
OMG you made me choke.... vision of you impressing 70 somethings with your electric scooter skills. If you even hinted these feeling while in Colorado I am pretty sure one of the guys would have pushed you off American Flag Mountain to cure those urges... LOL Just busting your balls as you would do to me. Do you put playing cards in your spokes??? Asking for a friend.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Boom Boom wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:06 pm OMG you made me choke.... vision of you impressing 70 somethings with your electric scooter skills. If you even hinted these feeling while in Colorado I am pretty sure one of the guys would have pushed you off American Flag Mountain to cure those urges... LOL Just busting your balls as you would do to me. Do you put playing cards in your spokes??? Asking for a friend.
When you put the right gearing on, you would be surprised how fast this thing accelerates and how quickly you can make your nuts go up to your throat! Now that the suspension is right for me, you can launch this thing just like any other DH MTB. You need to ride one that is set up for "big boyz"! :killingme: Cause you know, you are big boy like me!
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Firebolter wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:09 pm
Boom Boom wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:06 pm OMG you made me choke.... vision of you impressing 70 somethings with your electric scooter skills. If you even hinted these feeling while in Colorado I am pretty sure one of the guys would have pushed you off American Flag Mountain to cure those urges... LOL Just busting your balls as you would do to me. Do you put playing cards in your spokes??? Asking for a friend.
When you put the right gearing on, you would be surprised how fast this thing accelerates and how quickly you can make your nuts go up to your throat! Now that the suspension is right for me, you can launch this thing just like any other DH MTB. You need to ride one that is set up for "big boyz"! :killingme: Cause you know, you are big boy like me!
I am looking for the report when you loop out impressing those hot chicks.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I'm a real wheelie pussy. The balance point is out there in place hidden from me by my knowledge of how slowly I heal these days. But! since I switched to the larger rear sprocket, power wheelies are so easy. No bounce, just twist and ride it out. Switching from the OEM 48 to a 54 I lost only about 5 mph off the top end but 42 mph is plenty fast enough on something this light.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

smdub wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:54 am They make 1.4/1.6 rim locks. You can also trim down the lightweight plastic ones.
Hmm, I might have to go searching for a couple of those. This thing has so much torque that I'm reluctant to push lower pressures.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Ready for some Torque? 64 tooth out back.
Lots of cool bikes---