I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

DAMN ADV ride May 1-2

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: DAMN ADV ride May 1-2

Post by Laoch »

Wingfixer wrote:I'm planning to camp at Rocky Gap State Park. Currently they're showing no camp sites available for May 1. I'm assuming that's a covid thing but I'm going to call them to find out.
Sounds like a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Firebolter wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:00 pm Day 1 Starts at Thurmont MD @Sheetz on 15 (12ish miles north of Frederick)
First part of Day 1 ends south of Carlisle in Mt. Holly Springs (North end of Michaux)
Second part of Day 1, we head out to the west and south through Tuscarora and Buchanan SF onto Flintstone for the night.
Day 2 Flintstone back to Fredrick or wherever your end point is.

I broke Day 1 into 2 parts purely because of the way and limitations I had to deal with making the gpx files. Day 2 is all one file.
Okay, I get it now. I was just having problems figuring out how/where the two maps connected and their order. Thanks.
Wingfixer wrote: I'm planning to camp at Rocky Gap State Park. Currently they're showing no camp sites available for May 1. I'm assuming that's a covid thing but I'm going to call them to find out.
Cool. Let me know where and I'll sneak in after dark and set up right next to you!

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Wingfixer wrote: I'm planning to camp at Rocky Gap State Park. Currently they're showing no camp sites available for May 1. I'm assuming that's a covid thing but I'm going to call them to find out.
Cool. Let me know where and I'll sneak in after dark and set up right next to you!

~Patrick

:thumbup:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
kos1
DAMN Wanabe

Post by kos1 »

Just called Rocky Gap State Park and was able to speak to a real person. The closure until May 27th is for repaving and with only 1 road in and out they are just closing the whole camp grounds. I wouldn't hold my breath on them opening up early or doing the work in phases to allow for reservations before the May 27th.

Looking around there isn't much else around Flintstone and I'm way too cheap to get a hotel. Starting to look at options a bit further down the road around green ridge state forest. Starting to look like a DAMN long day for those sleeping on the ground.
'06 DR 650
'81 GL500 (some assembly required)
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

What about options to the north? Make it a shorter day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce
kos1
DAMN Wanabe

Post by kos1 »

Poking around and the best options north are around Breezewood. I did find 2 options on google maps (merritt pond and sawmill campground) that appear close to the route between Everett and Flintstone but they look suspect.

The image from the GPSVisualizerimages makes it look like we'll pass by Brush Creek Campgrounds. https://brushcreekcampground.weebly.com/
'06 DR 650
'81 GL500 (some assembly required)
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I did not know they were working on the camp grounds. I got a reservation at the hotel. I'll look around and if you guys come up with an option for another place, let me know and we'll see how we can manipulate the route for a different place to camp.
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

kos1 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:56 pm Poking around and the best options north are around Breezewood. I did find 2 options on google maps (merritt pond and sawmill campground) that appear close to the route between Everett and Flintstone but they look suspect.

The image from the GPSVisualizerimages makes it look like we'll pass by Brush Creek Campgrounds. https://brushcreekcampground.weebly.com/
We do go close to Breezewood, about 9 miles from there, in fact, in the route sheet, I have an option that has a "Emergency Gas/End ride option" to run into Breezewood and on home or then back out to regain the course (18 mile round trip). We turn left (South) on Black Bear Rd about 9 miles from Breezewood and Brush Creek is west of us a mile or 2 as we work south, but not on the course. It's on the other side of the ridge line.
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

The Cove has camping that you could probably do a group lot and Winchester is very close with lots of lodging and good eats.
Seems most of you will be turning back southeast for travel home.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Well, I made this to end at Rocky Gap on Day 1 and I always intended to stay at the hotel, have a hot shower, a nice meal, some drinks and sit in the bar and look out over the lake. If you have ever been to the resort, it is pretty nice.

My X wife worked in Sales and marketing for the Sheraton at the resort in Kauai when I lived there. I know a little how to work it! And with COVID, maybe I can swing a group rate and get rooms somewhat cheaper? I got a 2 queen bed room for 167 a night. Let me see if I can work out something with them. Whatever the case, I am riding to the Gap and spending the night! That's the beauty about the way we set this up, you can bail earlier in the day and jump on highways and get back or stay somewhere else. It's an adventure ride, make it what you want it to be!

I'll provide the course info I have, you can modify to your desires! Everybody gets what they want! :freakey:
Lots of cool bikes---