I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by juddspaintballs »

Rut Row wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:56 pm
Marylander wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:33 pm Ken, you've probably mentioned this before but, what's the garage floor coating and are you happy with it? I'm moving up to a ~10 bike garage from a 4 bike garage next year and think I may do epoxy or something...
I used Tri-State Concrete Coatings from Middletown - http://www.tsconcretecoatings.com/ - had the Acid Staining followed by Epoxy / Urethane sealer. No chips. This was the cheapest way to get the floor done and I don't need no steekin; chips!

I'm very happy with it. I'm amazed how much less dust I have; the shop is much cleaner. Good investment IMHO.

Does welding hurt it? A lot of the polyurea coatings get burn marks from welding slag. I wasn't sure how an epoxy/urethane sealer would do.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Boom Boom wrote:What is that 4x4 tractor with a bucket for?
Bingo. I just topped off the diesel.
Snowblowers are for minor snowfalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Skinny-J wrote:
gots_a_sol wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:01 pm
They are going to 1x because its cheaper. It doesn't solve the cross chaining problems (though the new thinner chains help that.) You also may still need to run a front chain guide. IME, those are more fiddly than a derailleur. Kid just lost his guide somewhere :( For all the years I've ridden mtbs, rear derailleur problems are 10x+ more common.
One real advantage that a 1x does have is you can tuck the rear tire closer to the seat post which will shorten the wheelbase if using 27.5" or 29" tires on the smaller frames.
Good points. Weight reduction probably factors in too. Also less to think about while on the trail.

My Santa Cruz is 1x12 with sram bits and I havent dropped a chain on it yet with no front guide, which will now happen on the next ride :lol2:
The biggest advantage of the 1X is log hopping, you get a lot more clearance. Plus weight savings. Simplicity. I will never go back...
Riding the rocks took care of my outer chain ring. Grinding all those teeth off really helps with weight reduction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Skinny-J wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:24 pmThe biggest advantage of the 1X is log hopping, you get a lot more clearance. Plus weight savings. Simplicity. I will never go back...
No difference :P I replace all my big rings w/ a E13 polycarbonate bash ring. So the same diameter as a 1x. I can slide over huge rocks and logs w/o damaging a chain. Never thought about it before but I'm guessing the 1x can use longer bolts and still attach a ring somehow.
FWIW, I'm not against 1x. I have a long stalled bike project I was going to build 1x5 before the thiiner chainsets came out (take the upper 5 pinned cogs from a sprocket and machine to fit a single speed hub.) It needs to use a curved seat tube to tuck the wheel in as much as possible so a front derailleur is not an option. Was even tempted to use a Rholof to clean up the rear. I need to find LONG butted spokes and someone who can roll threads. If I could lace the wheels it might kickstart the project again. In all my foot dragging, wider hubs have become common and that would help the build too.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

I have to say this thread is little confusing jumping between snow blowers, floor coatings and EMs. I most be getting old.
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

trialsrider wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:12 pm I have to say this thread is little confusing jumping between snow blowers, floor coatings and EMs. I most be getting old.
Thank you.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

trialsrider wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:12 pm I have to say this thread is little confusing jumping between snow blowers, floor coatings and EMs. I most be getting old.
Dont forget mountain bikes
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Bucho wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:34 pm
At least it's not about Trials bikes for once.... :cheers:
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

Skinny-J wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:01 pm
Bucho wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:34 pm
At least it's not about Trials bikes for once.... :cheers:
Thats sounds a little dramatic. Seems like someone has sore spot from owning a trials bike. :Nanadancing:
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

I just happened onto this thread whilst in the middle of working on something, changing my firmware!
20201215_184355.jpg
The electric bikes are an acquired taste and they aren't quite there yet. I learned a lot on my first "electric only" ride, the most important being my 4cs forks suck compared to bills 6days setup. That bike was sublime.