I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

JD/TPS tuner for EFI bikes

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: JD/TPS tuner for EFI bikes

Post by Laoch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:50 pm

I haven't had time to ride a lot. Short trips around the block. It seems to pull better all over. Keep in mind it is a 250. Idle had to be backed off. So far, so food. I just need to log some real miles.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce

John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:22 am

Bruce-

How's the JD Tuner working out? Did whoever you got it from give you recommended settings? My Husky runs well but pretty hot in this weather and I think to address the fueling. I was planning on ordering a JD from RMATV or Mototaco (but I think Moto is out) and the other delete stuff but thought that I'd check with you first. Any advice?

John

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:51 am

John F wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:22 am
Bruce-

How's the JD Tuner working out? Did whoever you got it from give you recommended settings? My Husky runs well but pretty hot in this weather and I think to address the fueling. I was planning on ordering a JD from RMATV or Mototaco (but I think Moto is out) and the other delete stuff but thought that I'd check with you first. Any advice?

John
John, I am running the same tuner on my 2020 500 but got it from a different vendor. All of these tuners (JD, BDSB and others like them) are re-branded Dobeck tuners. They work well. Easy install and simple to program. I went with the BDSB tuner only because he had dyno charts with nice AFR curves to back up his settings. I set the bike up per his recommendations and the bike runs flawless. Starts easy hot or cold. No flame outs and smooth as silk from idle up to top. I haven't touched it since I installed it. The KAT was a good test for the tuner. My bike ran a steady 170-175 degrees. The ambient temps were mid to high 90's with 60-90% humidity and the bike ran well. I have my temp displayed in the map screen on the Voyager Pro so I can see it at all times.My fan didn't come on that much, so I know the motor is happy. I am very happy with the performance and throttle response. I am sure any of these will work good, but they are only as good as the settings you put in them. I am happy to share what I got for recommendations from BDSB. He has settings for stock and modded configurations. I am running open end cap, vacuum evap plugged and added the dongle, removal of the intake airbox reeds and the smaller exhaust manifold.
Lots of cool bikes---

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 am

Yes. Runs well. Cooler. Was preset for “off road”. But is fully tune-able. Easy and has instructions. However, uncorking is necessary. Also easy to do.
Bruce

John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:51 am

Thanks

mcrdude897
DAMN n00b

Post by mcrdude897 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:48 pm

Which big bore kit did you go with? I've been riding with Thumper Racing's 290 kit for the past month. I sent the JD tuner back to JD after they offered to reflash it and then ship it back for free. I still had to make adjustments to richen up the cicuits to make sure there are no deceleration pops etc.

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:25 pm

mcrdude897 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:48 pm
Which big bore kit did you go with? I've been riding with Thumper Racing's 290 kit for the past month. I sent the JD tuner back to JD after they offered to reflash it and then ship it back for free. I still had to make adjustments to richen up the cicuits to make sure there are no deceleration pops etc.
J&J did a big bore on his ktm 250. He doesn’t hang out here much lately.
Mine is stock.
Bruce

J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:22 pm

Laoch wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:25 pm
mcrdude897 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:48 pm
J&J did a big bore on his ktm 250. He doesn’t hang out here much lately.
Mine is stock.
I have the Thumper Racing 290 kit. I was never able to get it to idle well with the JD kit. Random flameouts were a problem. Problem is you are adjusting fuel with a piggyback system on the stock emissions tuned map. I just bit the bullet on a Vortex ecu and it runs night and day better with their maps. They adjust the timing as well and it cleaned up the entire rpm range. I hope to do some more testing this weekend but I think I have it sorted now.

mcrdude897
DAMN n00b

Post by mcrdude897 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:20 pm

I was able to recently find a used vortex on Facebook marketplace this week for half of the MSRP. I called Tokyo mods to get their opinion on the fuel trim with a big bore kit; told me to set the low, mid, and high to all 7's. I set the low to 8 for safety; runs fantastic (only playing with Map 1 so far). I'll be hitting up taskers gap in the next few weeks to test it out along with the gold valve open cartridge kit I just put in the xplors. Have you guys done anything to your xplors?