I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Short ADV ride next week

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Short ADV ride next week

Post by Twist »

A friend and I have decided to break away for a 3 - 4 day ADV type ride next week. We're going to meet up near Harpers Ferry and hook on to the Mid-Atlantic BDR track going north; ride it for a few days while most likely camping; and then when the kitchen pass expires, hit the back roads back home to DC and Annapolis. I'm mulling over the choice of which bike to take on this ride.

It's a very easy ADV ride which seems about 50/50 paved vs. unpaved and the dirt bits are all groomed forest roads - all very big bike friendly. My 1200GS is perfectly set up for this and would be the easy choice that would be especially welcome when riding the 250+ miles home on the road. But here's the thing - I've set my WR250R up for ADV riding thinking it would see some time in the Rockies and Southwest but haven't done it yet. I've got the 4.7 gallon IMS tank on it, bag racks, and tail rack but because I've been riding it exclusively as a trail bike so far, I've got really short gearing on it and coverted to Tubliss.

I have a countershaft sprocket that will resolve the gearing problem so I can run 60-70 mph but I'm wondering if I should be concerned about putting several hundred miles on the Tubliss system at high speeds. I'm running it inside the trusty Dunlop D606 rear and Pirelli MT-21 front tires that only have about 500 almost all dirt miles on them so I don't think the tires will be a problem for this ride. I've also got the wheels balanced pretty well using my Parnes balancer. It took a lot of weight but they're smooth as a set of off road tires can be.

Do any of you guys have any experience, particularly bad experience, running Tubliss inside what will essentially be a higher speed road trip? I'd kind of like to test myself to see if I can tolerate my little ADV bike for a long days in the saddle but wondering how safe the Tubliss is for that? It's a high pressure tube blow out that gives me nightmares.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Short ADV ride next week

Post by BigBird »

I have ha NO problem with Tubliss on long 70 MPH runs. It is on all my bikes except the GL1800 and the Beta 200 Trials.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

A couple guys on our KAT trip had Tubliss. We ran some hot road speeds. Seemed to handle it just fine
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I had 5 guys come through my place doing the BDR heading north. The smallest bike was a F800GS, two R1200GS's, a R1250GS, and a VFR1200X. They were all loaded with camping gear and it looks like they made it to NY without any issues. I saw pictures of them looking at Niagra Falls yesterday.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Tubliss will have no issues at road speed for as long as you want. Just run the same main chaimber pressure as you would in a tube for the road (i.e. don't run 6psi on the road)
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee