I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

MAVT Vintage trials 28 June

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: MAVT Vintage trials 28 June

Post by smdub »

Curious as to why you're looking for a gas bike.
BTW, how did the EM handle the loops? Did you charge in between or is the new battery bigger?
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Jtrobb wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:01 am The KTM RFS design is plus in my book. I have an 06 400exc that I love. Other than oil changes (every other ride) and valve checks (never out of spec), it has needed nothing. I initially rejetted , added a second perforated tube to the silencer, and the euro lights to dual sport it, other than that completely stock.

Any used Beta 4-strokes on the market? Nearest dealer that won't beat me up?

Jason
Actually a nice one popped up in northern Pa close to NY line for a reasonable price but is a Factory and will bark more than the standard you was following yesterday. I can hook you up with the Beta guy that sells to most of D6 and I know Jared at South Mountain would treat you well (he was checking the big zero line drop off section) According to Ray Peters (Beta team manager) the 2020 does have some engine revisions so if I was getting one it would be the 2020 Standard.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

smdub wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:13 am Curious as to why you're looking for a gas bike.
BTW, how did the EM handle the loops? Did you charge in between or is the new battery bigger?

I am looking for a gas bike fro a couple of reasons.

One (and it is a big one), is learning finesse. With the electric I have a tendency to "hammer" through. Since there is no clutch and no gearbox, I am replacing technique with the shear grunt of the electric motor. Learning technique is also a challenge as all the advice I can get from seasoned riders applies to a gas bike. Some advise directly transfers to the electric, some not so much.

Two, for some of the longer loops I may have some issues with battery life. If there is enough allotted time to re-charge half way through then it shouldn't be an issue. The EM finished with 46% battery life left. With 46% left I had already begun to notice a drop in "punch". I did put it on the generator for about 5min during a fuel/water stop.

The em handled the loops great, At times I felt like I was cheating. Can't stall, select wrong gear, no clutch to worry about, and LHRB makes off camber right turns a breeze. The Em did everything I asked of it and is way more capable than I am.

No plans on giving up the EM, I would just like to add a gas trials bike to the stable. A couple of weeks ago I rode my Husky WR165 out at Bucho's and I think I came to the conclusion I now prefer the more technical approach to dirt biking than blasting through the trails at a high rate of speed. I may even end up selling the WR, even though that goes against my grain, as it is pretty much a point and shoot type of ride.

Jason
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Interesting the new batt lasted that much longer. Could be the motor/controller are a lot more efficient too. I thought the 2020 EM had a clutch?

What made me mad about my crash yesterday was that I have a Clake LHRB sitting here in a box for the Sherco but I didn't have any mineral oil to flush the clutch system. So I didn't want to risk fooling w/ it last week w/ no ride time to test/dial it in. I had the same basic wreck (3 times!) at the Dupont ride last year. Super loose downhills where my foot slipped and I couldn't find the rear brake. That was the straw that broke the camels back as they say and got me to order the Clakes this spring.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Sounds like it was a good time. Hopefully I can make one in the future.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

smdub wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:01 pm Interesting the new batt lasted that much longer. Could be the motor/controller are a lot more efficient too. I thought the 2020 EM had a clutch?

What made me mad about my crash yesterday was that I have a Clake LHRB sitting here in a box for the Sherco but I didn't have any mineral oil to flush the clutch system. So I didn't want to risk fooling w/ it last week w/ no ride time to test/dial it in. I had the same basic wreck (3 times!) at the Dupont ride last year. Super loose downhills where my foot slipped and I couldn't find the rear brake. That was the straw that broke the camels back as they say and got me to order the Clakes this spring.
The 2020's it is an option to buy one with a clutch. The "race" model is the one with a clutch and it is about 2.5k more than the "lite" model I got. In hindsight I should have just bit the bullet and got the race. When I bought it I never thought I would find trials events close enough to attend, so just intended to ride it around my property.

The clake's one easy clutch design interests me. The lever with just room for your index finger might help me get over the concept of pulling the clutch up against my 3 other fingers.

Jason
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

My score was 12/ clean and 57 points. I assume the 57 is the total points I had for the day. what does the 12/clean mean?

Jason
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Jason if you had the same score as another rider the one with most cleans wins.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

A clean is a perfect stage. 0 points. So you had 12 zero scores for the day. Great job BTW!
Where did you find the results?
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

smdub wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:20 pm A clean is a perfect stage. 0 points. So you had 12 zero scores for the day. Great job BTW!
Where did you find the results?
Mid Atlantic Trials underground facebook page had pictures of the results board.