I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

MAVT Vintage trials 28 June

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: MAVT Vintage trials 28 June

Post by smdub »

Oh, this is going to be ugly on Sun. I haven't had the trials bike out all year. I sprained my right ankle really bad 2wks ago (xrays said nothing torn or broken, just really swollen.) I couldn't kickstart the Sherco so got some help. It fired up fairly fast and the clutch didn't stick! Can manage to get it kicked again once it was warm. I am *RUSTY* though. Maybe its like riding a bike...

I could prob ride the Sur-Ron but just took a look at it and someone bent the crap out of my left foot peg hanger :( Its a cast part and cracked. Can't find one in stock anywhere.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

smdub wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:47 pm Oh, this is going to be ugly on Sun. I haven't had the trials bike out all year. I sprained my right ankle really bad 2wks ago (xrays said nothing torn or broken, just really swollen.) I couldn't kickstart the Sherco so got some help. It fired up fairly fast and the clutch didn't stick! Can manage to get it kicked again once it was warm. I am *RUSTY* though. Maybe its like riding a bike...

I could prob ride the Sur-Ron but just took a look at it and someone bent the crap out of my left foot peg hanger :( Its a cast part and cracked. Can't find one in stock anywhere.
Stephen, you sound like me before I tee it up with my friends to play golf. All the excuses for what's about to happen all come out on the first tee.

@#$%@, life keeps conspiring against me to do this. Doesn't look like I'll make it tomorrow but if by some miracle I can sneak away early tomorrow, how early should I get there to be able to walk the course?
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Im out tomorrow. My van is going to be in the shop for a few days.

Unless anyone from Frederick wants to bring me...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Twist, an hour or more is plenty of time to see the course. I tend to aim to get there at 10 to leave plenty of time.

Bucho, I'm sure we can work something out. Frederick adds about an hr to the trip. I could also pack the '16 Sherco if you just want to drive up.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

smdub wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:32 pm Twist, an hour or more is plenty of time to see the course. I tend to aim to get there at 10 to leave plenty of time.

Bucho, I'm sure we can work something out. Frederick adds about an hr to the trip. I could also pack the '16 Sherco if you just want to drive up.
Yeah, you live too far to make it worth it. Ill sit this one out.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

I don't mind the drive or bringing the other bike if you really want to go.
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Fun day today. Wow, that property is GORGEOUS!!! Greg and I only made 3 loops. His battery was dead and I was gassed from the heat. Good seeing you jtrobb and boom boom even if only briefly at the start. Lots of rusty folks out today. Saw Jim H miss a gate.

The 3 line today had almost nothing to hop :shrug: Biggest log/rock was, what, 8"? It was easily the technically easiest 3 line I've ever ridden. But it was punishing on the basics of turning and weight distribution - which I clearly need to practice more again. Mike, you must've been in heaven! Was still good fun. I screwed up a lot and even wrecked pretty good once when I couldn't find the rear brake. Was painful walking around scouting on my ankle but riding didn't really give me any problems unless I dab'ed funny on that side (then there ws some cussing involved. :censored: ) Watching the experts ride in the 'play area' was cool. They make it look so effortless.

jtrobb, forgot to mention MacKenzie and her dad have your old 'green bean' running perfect again. They finally installed the carb jet kit I sent them. It does run better on a new pilot even though we cleaned the old one well. Good suggestion. She helped and he even made her hold the spark plug wire when he kicked it (said it was a family right of passage :killingme: ) I need to send you a pic w/ her on it. Thanks again!
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

I had a blast today and I am glad I rode the 2 line. I'm not sure my score was under triple digits, but it was satisfying when you cleared a section even if I completely flubbed the section before. It was the few off camber logs we had to hop that kept me cursing.

Glad to hear green bean is getting some good use. Much better that a kid gets to enjoy it, rather than sit in my shed and rot.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Jason you done fine yesterday and yes that log on the slope with no run off area got in my head and done me in...just had to roll it across nice and safe since I could not judge where that little tree on the right was...caught my front brake the first time and about sent me flying. That was a good technical section. The rest was on par for 2 line. Having watched you ride I knew you would do fine or would not have suggested riding 2 line. I can see one of those whisper quiet Beta 4 strokes in your future....more quiet than any string trimmer so no neighbor issues. The engine is the KTM RFS design so old school stupid simple. I think 85 rides was the read count. I expected 100 but many that I expected did not attend. Stephen I imagine the heat was kicking your ass...I was having issues later in the day.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

The KTM RFS design is plus in my book. I have an 06 400exc that I love. Other than oil changes (every other ride) and valve checks (never out of spec), it has needed nothing. I initially rejetted , added a second perforated tube to the silencer, and the euro lights to dual sport it, other than that completely stock.

Any used Beta 4-strokes on the market? Nearest dealer that won't beat me up?

Jason