I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Exhaust Question (2-stroke)

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Exhaust Question (2-stroke)

Post by Rut Row »

I am reassembling the Wasp as the parts come back. The expansion chamber has been repainted by JetHot and looks great. However, the joint below is a bit loose. Is the spring sufficient to prevent exhaust gas leakage or should I add some high temp sealant to the joint? If so, should I do the same where the expansion chamber attaches to the head?

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: Exhaust Question (2-stroke)

Post by Wingfixer »

With my limited experience in such things I would say just the spring. You want it to be able to move around a little and adding sealant tape might make it too tight a fit and lead to cracks. Someone else with more experience will weight in here I am sure.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

hey man the only thing that Ive found to seal any two stroke exhaust is a high temp sealant that you can only get from a chrysler dealer which maybe hard to find directly :lol2: , but Ive also have used Honda bond with similar results :thumbup:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
kashlak

Post by kashlak »

usually theirs a high temp rubber sleeve over that joint and you can put a muffler clamp over the rubber sleeve to seal it better.
401dan
DAMN Expert

Post by 401dan »

hey KEN. on my race bikes i use hi temp grey gasket maker and a usually orange rubber slide over collar gasket with clamps . take the pipe with you most dirt bike dealers or shops have in stock should be tight fit. use sealer around pipe and slidetogether and slide collar over that so sealer is between collar and pipe as well makes a nice leak proof seal . that black crap ooozez everywhere. i did daves08excr 2stroke for him no leaks. DAN
2005 KLR250 2012 TIGER 800XC FULLY FARKLED : :whip:
TEACH MORE FRIENDS TO RIDE WE NEED VOTES FOR THE LAW'S THAT GOVERN US. TOO CHANGE!!!
401dan
DAMN Expert

Post by 401dan »

KEN I FORGOT DONT USE SEALER AT THE HEAD PIPE . there is a hi temp rubber oring you can get at shop as well some times i have to use two of them for good seal they expand when they get hot and seal up good. :hi5:
2005 KLR250 2012 TIGER 800XC FULLY FARKLED : :whip:
TEACH MORE FRIENDS TO RIDE WE NEED VOTES FOR THE LAW'S THAT GOVERN US. TOO CHANGE!!!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

401dan wrote:KEN I FORGOT DONT USE SEALER AT THE HEAD PIPE . there is a hi temp rubber oring you can get at shop as well some times i have to use two of them for good seal they expand when they get hot and seal up good. :hi5:
Now he tells me... :dry:

Just kidding - I haven't assembled it yet - I'll swing by the local Honda shop and see if they have the o-ring

thanks! :cheers:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Chic

Post by Chic »

Probably a bit late, but I agree with Dan. I like the High Temp RTV. It works well and is a bit flexible. You can also pick up the rubber "boot" or "sleeve" that fits over the joint there. instead of clamps, I think most bikes come with a circular spring that fits into grooves on each end of the sleeve.

If the fitment from pipe to pipe seems pretty secure (as in it fits snugly but you want a little more so it doesn't leak) then I would just use the sleeve. If it is really loose and you think the fitment isn't all that great, I would use the RTV and the sleeve.
Chic

Post by Chic »

I fogot....check out this site. You can get the microfiche for just about any bike and order OEM parts right from there. www.ronnies.com They are one of my favorites. Click on the web section instead of the local stores.