I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trials Bug nibbling at me

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Trials Bug nibbling at me

Post by smdub »

Boom Boom wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:01 pm Scorpa just sold so that is off the market. Yo Steve... you sleeping? With you owning like a dozen trials bikes I thought you might be on here offering up what you would like to move along..
1) Its Stephen :)
2) LOL. I'm down to just one extra.
I'm not asking much more for the 2016 Factory than your target price Twist. Like others have offered, you're more than welcome to ride it if we can find a place/time to meet up. Its a good idea to take Mike up on his offers for instruction too. It helped me a lot.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
mantakos
DAMN n00b

Post by mantakos »

Any advice on places to ride?

I've been googling around for something like "we're a trials club, come join us, we have a riding area that's setup for trials practice with a bunch of interesting stuff on it", but I don't seem to be finding exactly that. I see competition events, but I assume that people who compete must go somewhere to practice, no?

Or do you just take your trials bike to the same kind of places you'd take a dirt bike and look for interesting stuff to ride over/through/around? I never see anybody on a trials bike in any of the places I ride.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

mantakos wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:02 pm Any advice on places to ride?

I've been googling around for something like "we're a trials club, come join us, we have a riding area that's setup for trials practice with a bunch of interesting stuff on it", but I don't seem to be finding exactly that. I see competition events, but I assume that people who compete must go somewhere to practice, no?

Or do you just take your trials bike to the same kind of places you'd take a dirt bike and look for interesting stuff to ride over/through/around? I never see anybody on a trials bike in any of the places I ride.
There are trials clubs with grounds- Mike knows more about those. Most of us ride on private property thru invites. Some of us have our own property and backyard setups for practicing. But you can ride trials at the Cove or at the trails at Gore, etc.
Stick around and get to know a few people, winter is a good time to ride.
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Do you have a trials bike?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Laoch wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:17 pm

There are trials clubs with grounds- Mike knows more about those. Most of us ride on private property thru invites. Some of us have our own property and backyard setups for practicing. But you can ride trials at the Cove or at the trails at Gore, etc.
Stick around and get to know a few people, winter is a good time to ride.
when we going to ride at the Cove Bruce?! :cheers:
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

As mentioned most areas we ride is private. With hungry lawyers today most land owners are very fussy about who gets an invite. Public pay to ride locations like Moto Cove and Mountain Ridge have plenty of good areas but no marked sections as is private pay to ride and we are "off trail" so that is not what they want to see anyhow. I will say the folks at Moto Cove put out the red carpet when they find out we are riding trials bikes.
Always best to say where you are located if you want where to ride suggestions.
If looking for a "Trials Park" no such thing exists. Trials solo is very boring....you need a couple folks on same type of bike to have a fun day and perhaps learn a few things.
Step one....where are you located and what are you riding? That helps someone like me direct you where to look - contact.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

smdub wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:07 pm
Boom Boom wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:01 pm Scorpa just sold so that is off the market. Yo Steve... you sleeping? With you owning like a dozen trials bikes I thought you might be on here offering up what you would like to move along..
I'm not asking much more for the 2016 Factory than your target price Twist. Like others have offered, you're more than welcome to ride it if we can find a place/time to meet up. Its a good idea to take Mike up on his offers for instruction too. It helped me a lot.
(Stephen)....so sorry for the Steve. My bad.....Michael.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

smdub wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:07 pm
Hi Stephen,

Where can I find some information about your 2016 Factory? I'm pretty much ready to dive in when I can find a bike to suit me. I'll PM you my email and contact information and let's talk?

Wes
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Boom Boom wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:25 pm Don't sell yourself short on the need to go out back and practice. I have riding everywhere but still travel and hour to 2 hours just to connect with friends.
To just play in your back yard you can spend hours and only gain bad habits but when with a group you have old fat jerks like me pointing out what to do different. I have had trials bikes for 45 years so does not mean I can ride all that well any longer but I do still have the ability to know if things are being done correctly.
Just my $.02
well Mike, I must of just experienced this and still not sure if Im doing it correctly :think:
spent that last month when have time around the yard learning to lob the front end up with control at different heights. Been doing it on 1st gear the whole time, and really struggling with the timing of clutch and throttle. Just accidentally lobbed it on 3rd and it was absolutely effortless, not exerting my body loading front fork and shifting weight back drastically as in 1st, really fighting it consistently. In 3rd getting decent height of lifting front wheel 3 times in a row within 20 feet. Repeat the same thing on 2nd gear. So Im thinking 1st gear the throttle must be real slow (throttle/clutch timing) and cant consistently lob it up at whim as in 2nd and 3rd. Don't really want to learn bad habits as you said. What is 1st gear really used for?
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Sonny first gear is used for everything. Front wheel lift has little to do with throttle and more with body shift. Use your core body to shift back to lift the front... small throttle added will aid in how much height. Think leverage. Standing straight jerking on the bars is a pure power thing....try a little bend of the knees forward and the shift your weight back using your hands to stop your motion. Add a little throttle when your mass has stopped the rear motion. Do this with no clutch. Just do a bunch of tiny controlled wheelies. Then make a start point line and place items to crush like cans at 12 to 36 inches. From that start line do control wheelie and goal is to crush that can. You will learn to impact the can 12 inches out you need a 12 inch arch...24 inches away you need 24 inch arch. Double blip is most common used to cross logs and help lift the rear fromva good front impact....bigger logs are just a roll up impact the front into the log...24 inch log...lift wheel about the same away from log as you want your up arch to impact that log face on the way up.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr