I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trials Bug nibbling at me

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Trials Bug nibbling at me

Post by Bucho »

aai wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:28 am here's another channel to feed the lil monster :thumbup: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPrnKO ... QYA/videos
Member Laoch (Bruce) told me at the last ride at Emmitsburg I should start working on stationary balance. Worked on it for 30 minutes everyday for a week and finally broke that ice. Worked on it to the point it triggered my gout :lol2: but I got that sucker and it feels good. Now working on the opposite direction of wheel.

Ive been lazy about that. You are going to be showing me up next time we ride
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

I seriously doubt that Phil lol. But Ive been practicing on the garage concrete floor since its all I heard to do. By the time I got it outdoors on the dirt its so so much easier :loveit: Breaking that ice felt so good, but I know its only the very basic fundamental. Turning the wheel to the right now and also thinking of starting the front wheel stationary hop will be next on the list.
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Moto Cove has some great jeep rock crawl areas that make for very long sections. Fun and good stuff. Up one side and down the other....count your total dabs and do a couple time and try to do better. At events we walk and look how to attack sections. This freeride is good fun as you need to make last second adjustments. I find I spend to much time over thinking things and the free ride format is refreshing. You need to make it fun or you will get bored and give it up. A brisk trail ride and just hit what you see coming at you...larger logs...short vertical banks. Follow the leader is also good fun.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

The video I posted above is just an average day of play for us. All of those guys come from dirt bike background (other than the 2 boys). They either biked up trials to help overall skills (couple run hard enduros) and others just gave up dirt bikes as to big of a PIA to find any decent riding without a 2 - 3 hours drive but to find a few acres of miserable ugly stuff to play on is far easier to do. Some of the other dirt bike forums I hang out at every week I see a post of broken leg - shoulder dislocated...knee blown out...the list goes on. Bottom like they are done for the season. Majority of my injuries from trials is just because I am old and stuff is wearing out. Word of caution with those electric trials bikes....do not stand in front of Ken, he likes to run into your private areas. Silent and deadly.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Thanks for weighing in to help me get started. It seems like the consensus is to get as new a modern trials bike as I can find and dive in. I'm intrigued by the electric option as that would probably let me ride at home and nearby without running afoul of crabby neighbors.

This is something that I've always wanted to try and I feel lucky that I seem to have stumbled in to group of folks that like to ride slow.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Twist wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 am Thanks for weighing in to help me get started. It seems like the consensus is to get as new a modern trials bike as I can find and dive in. I'm intrigued by the electric option as that would probably let me ride at home and nearby without running afoul of crabby neighbors.

This is something that I've always wanted to try and I feel lucky that I seem to have stumbled in to group of folks that like to ride slow.
Kens electric bike is good fun and quiet for neighbor factor but if your goal is to improve other riding you need a clutch. Some day the electric offerings will be more reasonable cost and same build quality but not yet.
Other than some levers not much to break on the bikes. Set of brake pads a year and fresh tires. Burn a 1/2 gal of fuel on a long day. Supply and demand keeps cost higher than an average dirt bike but not much you can do about that.
Of your brands stay away from Gas Gas till we can see just what KTM plans to do....support of anything pre-KTM will probably not exist. Montesa is Honda...nothing more needs said on that...gas and go. Scorpa / Sherco are the same just different colors and supported by RYP so no issues with parts. Beta is a solid brand. TRS has been around since 2016 and very strong now and importer is Jim Snell (was Gas Gas parts importer). Have a new player hitting our market soon and that is Jotagas....I have one with my name on. Vertigo looks crazy cool but unless you want to just polish and look at I would stay far away.
Feel free to PM me, I normally have a good handle on what is available in our general area.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Twist wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 am Thanks for weighing in to help me get started. It seems like the consensus is to get as new a modern trials bike as I can find and dive in. I'm intrigued by the electric option as that would probably let me ride at home and nearby without running afoul of crabby neighbors.

you are welcome to come try mine. We could drag Bucho over and you could also try his gasser. I have a beginners course setup in my backyard.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Rut Row wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:58 pm

you are welcome to come try mine. We could drag Bucho over and you could also try his gasser. I have a beginners course setup in my backyard.
Was that beginner comment aimed at me that you are bored with what I set up and need me to step it up? LOL
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Was that beginner comment aimed at me that you are bored with what I set up and need me to step it up? LOL
hahahaha ... no, it is perfect for a 4-line rider aspiring to ride the 3-line
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

That would be a nice and generous offer. Does it work for you guys to get out during the middle of the week or are weekends better to meet up to ride?

Anytime we get together I'll be happy to bring my WR250R and all are welcome to ride it. I've swapped it from 13/43 final drive to 12/50 which has greatly reduced the struggles I've had in the rock gardens with it.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain