I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Suspension advice - Shop for lowering?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
John F
DAMN Expert

Suspension advice - Shop for lowering?

Post by John F »

I need to get my recently acquired 2017 Husky 450 FE lowered by 2". KTM/Husky sells a kit that I can have my local shop put in. Any other ideas? Good suspension shop somewhat local to MD? I'd prefer to deal locally, and by that I mean someplace I can drive to if I need to. Thanks .
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Suspension advice - Shop for lowering?

Post by Laoch »

http://www.toytechcycles.com/index.html

In PA, I've heard he does good suspension work, factory installed lowering kits, etc.
Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I haven't had anything lowered by him, but I had T7 revalve and rebuild my suspension this year and it is much better than it was. Several others on this site have also used him.

http://ridet7.com/
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Let me know what you decide. I wouldn't lowering my Husky a tad :deal:
Bruce
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I'm another vote for T7. Dude does great work!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

John F wrote:I need to get my recently acquired 2017 Husky 450 FE lowered by 2". KTM/Husky sells a kit that I can have my local shop put in. Any other ideas? Good suspension shop somewhat local to MD? I'd prefer to deal locally, and by that I mean someplace I can drive to if I need to. Thanks .
I had just received mine back from motolab. He was in PA but set up in TN now. I shipped it out last Friday, and it was back at my door yesterday. Lowered, appropriate springs and valving for my weight and ability. Check them out, Motolab LLC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Post by kevvyd »

My .02 & experience.

2" is too much for a bike used seriously in singletrack.
My bike is lowered 30 mm (1-3/16")
I really miss the ground clearance. The amount of foot peg snags, skid plate smashes, and hang ups on small rollers is terrifying.
And my bike is PDS, so no linkage hanging down to snag/smash

I bet if you start calling suspension shops you will hear the same sentiment. Unless the bike is going to be gravel/street/slow dual sport only
'19 350 EXC-F
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I second that about just saying no to lowering. I've got an inseam between 29-30" and can attest that you can actually get used to having to slip off the saddle to get a foot down. And you'll always enjoy the ground clearance if you ride any gnarly off-road. Try a lower seat or even customize the seat yourself to get a better reach to the ground.

But if all you're doing to the Husky is swapping out the dog bone (lowering link) on the rear shock and maybe raising the forks a bit in the triple tree, it's a pretty easy job to do yourself.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

T7 referred me to Solid Performance KTM. They're figuring out what they can do. The Husky is for DS and maybe some more challenging stuff. I have a 300XC for strictly off road. And, having ridden bikes at standard height and lowered, I want my bike lowered. My 300xc was lowered 1" by the PO (who ran an off road adventure tour place in Costa Rica for years--he knows what he's doing), and I got a KTM low seat for it, so its about 1 1/2" lower. That 1 1/2" makes all difference. If you're short and haven't ridden a lowered bike, try one.

I'll check out MotoLab. Thanks
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I can understand lowering the bike a little for those with wee shanks.
There cons/benefits to it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200