I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
KRKid
DAMN n00b

Post by KRKid »

Hello everyone,

Glad I found a few folks that are local and hopefully will get to ride with at some point. Just got back on a bike after way to long without one, and made myself legal to be on the road. About a week into a new to me (demo) 2019 Beta 390 rr-s and got about 85-90 miles on the seat, or should I say BRICK. Already ordered a seat concepts seat that I hope will help that. Was considering a 250 dual sport, but ran into this deal and pretty much couldn't pass on it. Although little more power than anything I've had in the past, didn't want to buy something that I would want to upgrade in short order or dump $$ into trying to give it a little more ass.

Little about me, 44 married with 2 daughters (19 & 20) younger one in college and the older helping my wife run a small business we bought end of 2018.I live in Frederick county and even a few illegal spots that I used to ride my SxS are pretty much gone. Sold the SxS to buy the bike.

I'm looking to maybe get out to the only real? ORV spot in MD (Wolf Den Run) pretty soon to get a little time on the bike in the dirt and try to shake off the years of rust. Anyone been there or want to take a trip soon? I'm thinking about trying a mid week ride so maybe won't be as crowded, we got a family business that pays the bills so my schedule is pretty flexible. Enough rambling, good to find you guys/gals?

Kevin
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: New member

Post by Laoch »

Welcome.
Watch for stuff like this--> http://www.DAMNriders.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5026

There are a few of us with flexible schedules.
The Watershed and Michaux are good places to break in a DS bike.
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Whoa! Beta 390 is a sweet bike, you werent messing around when you got back into riding.

Midweek riding is nice. When my schedule allows it I try to swing it.

I cant confirm this date at the moment, but is next Wed during the day open?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

DAMN ... If I was going to get another DS bike it would be the Beta 390 :thumbup:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
KRKid
DAMN n00b

Post by KRKid »

Thanks gentlemen. I did probably go a little big getting back into a bike, but with all the stuff I read about everyone trying to squeeze a HP or two out of the jap 250's kind of sent me looking for other options. I probably ride at 235-240 with gear on. Like the bike so far, what little seat time that I have on it. I read nothing but rave reviews on the 390 for being easy to ride and having plenty of usable power so I went for it. Doesn't quite tractor in 1st like I want, I need to try the 13T front sprocket they give you with the bike. Should lower the gearing a bit and be better for me in the dirt. It doesn't like to pass many gas stations not that I care too much didn't really buy it for the street just nice to be legal there though.

I also got it a touch under $3k off msrp for a 2019 with 790+/- miles so it made it a little easier to swallow as a "re-starter" bike. Story is the guy from ADV rider got it from Beta to review and was supposed to buy it from the dealer and backed. He wanted to get rid of it cheap because the 2020's were coming in.

Little tall for me at the moment, but haven't messed with the suspension yet not that I really know what I'm doing either. Can tippie toe it fine on flat ground, but if the front is raised a little bit gets hairy.

Bucho, I can try to make next weds. open. What you got in mind? As long as you don't mind riding with a greenie!
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

KRKid wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:37 pm
Bucho, I can try to make next weds. open. What you got in mind? As long as you don't mind riding with a greenie!
Depends on what you want.

I havnt been to the MotoCove or Tasker’s Gap in a long time.

If you want a shorter day, I know a spot near Emmitsburg MD. Some nice trails but its a small place.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
KRKid
DAMN n00b

Post by KRKid »

I'm down for a road trip, never been to either place so up to you.

How do you normally get your bike there? I've got a hitch mounted bike rack coming that should be good for mine. I've got a cover on the bed of my truck and haven't tried to load a bike with it, think it would interfere with the front tire. I've got a trailer at work also, but it's 20' long open landscape type trailer. Little long for a couple bikes, but I don't mind.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Phil has a "War Wagon" truck/van thing, pretty handy. Hitch rack works well for most. Trailers are easy too. Bigger bikes can be a pain to get in and out of truck beds.
And of course, I work next Wednesday.
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

KRKid wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:23 pm I'm down for a road trip, never been to either place so up to you.

How do you normally get your bike there? I've got a hitch mounted bike rack coming that should be good for mine. I've got a cover on the bed of my truck and haven't tried to load a bike with it, think it would interfere with the front tire. I've got a trailer at work also, but it's 20' long open landscape type trailer. Little long for a couple bikes, but I don't mind.
I'll lay out your options and let you pick.

The MotoCove, near Gore VA. About an hour and a half drive from my place (western outskirts of Frederick). Private Property and they charge $25 to ride for the day. They have some nice trails with some good elevation changes. Many parts are fairly rocky, but not all of it.

Tasker's Gap/Peters Mill Run, Is 2 hour drive or close to 2 hours. Is VA state land. $5/day pass. While this has many spots just as rocky as MotoCove, they also have a 11 mile Jeep trail that is pretty easy.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

KRKid wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:23 pm

How do you normally get your bike there?
The hitch haulers work fairly well. I used one for years.

But a full sized van is the superior way.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200