I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Solo ride 4/29

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Solo ride 4/29

Post by Marylander »

I've scheduled every other monday off for all of 2019 with the intent of riding most of them. I've been feeling pretty stressed out and my asthma has been acting up so I decided to just do this one solo since I didn't figure it'd be much of a ride. I went to the Cove, now $30, and spent some time practicing on the original blue trail hill. I would go up, either make it right away or not. I know the difference between making it and not is committment. If I stay on the gas I make it but if I hesitate I mostly don't. Knowing what the issue is doesn't seem to help. I've got to learn committment...

After getting completely soaked in sweat going up and down the hill for an hour I continued on and went up the side trail to go up to the top of the ridge. Mental note, bring a wind breaker for practice days since the sweat leads to freezing once you start regular riding... I went to the overlook and took some pics:

There are some rocks nearby for Ken to play on with his trials bike:

I must have dropped the bike and hit the forks as I've got some scratches. :( They aren't that clear in the photo but they're easy to see
scratchedforks.jpg
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Solo ride 4/29

Post by Bucho »

Sometimes it is nice to just ride by yourself. You don't have to worry about anyone else and just do exactly what you want to do. Its nice to have the time to practice stuff.

I'm bummed to hear its creeped up to $30....
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I finally had a chance to pull the scratched up fork leg off. I'm filling the scratches/gouges with jb weld and will see how that goes. I scratched one of the legs on the KX, albeit not nearly to the extent that this one was damaged, and that never leaked on me after I fixed it up. It would be nice to have a lathe for this but I'm pretty sure I can get it nice and smooth by hand.

I got the rough edges off with 600 grit sandpaper. Even after sanding it looks pretty well chewed up:

I was having some trouble keeping the jb weld right around the damaged areas so I just ended up covering the entire vicinity. This was my approach when I used to make furniture and it worked there so... Looks pretty ugly at this point:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Pics not working.

I'm NO expert at all. But, what are the scratches hurting? Would in not be better just to smooth them out? Any worry about JB weld residue getting into the internals?

Just asking cuz IDk :deal:
Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Laoch wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:58 am Pics not working.

I'm NO expert at all. But, what are the scratches hurting? Would in not be better just to smooth them out? Any worry about JB weld residue getting into the internals?

Well, shoot. I'm hit or miss with google photos...

If you leave the scratches as is you'll lose a surprising amount of oil. The scratches will also carry grit up past the seal so you'll end up with grit inside the fork itself and will have destroyed the seal too. I don't see cured jb weld coming off but I suppose it could happen. I never had issues when I did this on the other bike. I think I used super glue for that one rather than jb weld... I think the important point is that I should stop falling down in rocks. :killingme:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Marylander wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:35 pm
Laoch wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:58 am Pics not working.

Well, shoot. I'm hit or miss with google photos...

If you leave the scratches as is you'll lose a surprising amount of oil. The scratches will also carry grit up past the seal so you'll end up with grit inside the fork itself and will have destroyed the seal too. I don't see cured jb weld coming off but I suppose it could happen. I never had issues when I did this on the other bike. I think I used super glue for that one rather than jb weld... I think the important point is that I should stop falling down in rocks. :killingme:
:thumbup:
Bruce