I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

The venerable Honda XR80

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Marylander
DAMN Admin

The venerable Honda XR80

Post by Marylander »

I've got an XR80 that had been sitting around for a few years before we picked it up for one of my kids to play around on. She didn't take to riding it (there are bugs in the woods) so it sat around for another few years until yesterday when I finally pulled it out to clean it up. It was having some carb issues when I first got it and it was just a loaner at that time so I cleaned out the pilot jet and called it good enough. Well, it wasn't good enough and the contents of the float bowl leaked all over the floor. The float assembly was kind of twisted and I figured I might as well rebuild the thing so I hit ebay for a kit. It turns out that you can get an entire Chinese made replacement carb for about $15. Even if that didn't work out I figured it was cheap so I bought it.

The carb seems to be a pretty good copy of the original keihin. I mounted it up, threw in a new air filter, put some of the gas for my beta into it, and the thing started up on the 2nd kick. There's something to be said for the old XRs and similar air-cooled bikes. So simple and hard to screw up. I started on a 78 XR75 myself and thought it was a great bike (way better than the briggs and stratton powered minibike that preceded it). Even after taking the top end apart and putting it back together it still ran (I was curious what it looked like inside).

Later on I got an XR350. The guy I bought it from had done the valves himself, switching the intake and exhaust valves. He must have run it until it stopped making noise and then sold it to the first sucker who came along. In spite of the valves being wrong the bike just kept running and I put a lot of hours on it. I didn't know there was anything wrong with the motor until I gave the bike away and the next guy rebuilt the motor. There had been some contact that you could see but, like I said, the bike still ran strong (comparable to my brother's xt350).

Anyway, now I've got this 2003 XR80 and no little kids to ride it. I don't know what I'm going to do with it... It does still need an oil change.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: The venerable Honda XR80

Post by Marylander »

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Are you trying to sell it?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I probably should sell it. I'm a little torn though. If it was a 70s XR I would keep it for sure. I don't have a good reason to hang on to it other than I think it's cool...
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Marylander wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:54 pm I probably should sell it. I'm a little torn though. If it was a 70s XR I would keep it for sure. I don't have a good reason to hang on to it other than I think it's cool...
That's not a bad reason to keep it. Hang it from the ceiling in your foyer so guests know what kind of person you are.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

LMK if you decide to sell it, I might be interested. I had an XR50 for my son for a while but he got too big for it so I sold it. He actually preferred his quad over riding the 2-wheeler so I got to get him back on a bike before this quad thing becomes permanent.

SJ
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Yeah, I can't think of any good reason to keep it. I think it'll be a few years before I have grandkids and a few more for them to be old enough to ride it. I shouldn't let the bike go to waste in the meantime. So, yes, I will sell it.
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

The 80 was Jacob’s second bike. Moving up from a 50 the 70 would have fit him better but we held out for the real clutch.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Marylander wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:31 am Yeah, I can't think of any good reason to keep it. I think it'll be a few years before I have grandkids and a few more for them to be old enough to ride it. I shouldn't let the bike go to waste in the meantime. So, yes, I will sell it.
Kewl. I will send you a PM and include my email. Email is best as for some reason I don't get notices of new PM's.

Thanks
J