I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Tires Tires Tires

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Tires Tires Tires

Post by Bucho »

Marylander wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:59 pm
I'm no tree hugger but I go the official route and take it to the local dump and pay the environmental fee. I used to have issues with this since I would go through too many tires (both street and dirt) per year based on what Maryland will accept (I think 5 tires a year?).
I had no idea the dump had a limit. I guess I've never been over it. I tend to get all the use out of my tires.

I do have one sitting in my garage at the moment. However, I think I may try to reuse/recycle this into "building materials" for trail work.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Laoch wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:58 pm Years ago, Bucho had a dog that would eat them :lol2:
I miss that dog!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Heh, I'm ok with the styrofoam ban. We do go through a lot of trash and there's no good way to deal with it all (even China won't take a lot of our junk/recyclables any more). Other things that are considered better for the environment don't make sense to me, e.g., electric cars. The mining process for the lithium and such is pretty nasty and they don't even know what they're going to do with all the industrial waste from production of the batteries or how to handle all of the nasty stuff in the batteries once they are worn out. Doesn't seem like moving forward to me... My interest in an electric motorcycle is mostly so I can do things quietly/stealthily. :thumbup: I also like the lower maintenance idea as I've always been lazy about it but I'm getting more lazy as I get older.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I don't know if I just got a bad goldentyre fatty but most of the side knobs are chunking on the one currently on the xtrainer. This never happened with these tires on the KX. I've ordered a shinko mx216 in 90/90 (not the fatty) to try out. I'll finally get the tubliss mounted too. I bought that like 2 years ago. I'm also curious about throwing a mousse in there though...

BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

I also went with the Shinko MX216 and a tubliss up front. Seems like a good combo. Though I later bought a durometer to test rubber hardness (gumminess?) and found the shinko was actually pretty hard rubber (around a 75?). Nothing like the Shinko 505 cheater rubber (around 55). Maybe all front tires are harder rubber than rear tires? I dunno.

The tubliss is a cool system. The inner tube gets inflated to around 100 psi and they say it tends to loose air slowly (so keep a strong air compressor in the garage nearby). Mine hasn't lost air much, but I now top it off as a matter of habit. However, my outer tire seems to lose air more often even with slime. Not sure if its because of the tubliss system. So now checking tire pressure is a calming pre-ride ritual...
2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Anytime I go out for a ride, I just make sure the air compressor is over 100 PSI and top off the inner tubes. Sometimes I'll check the tire pressures, sometimes I'll even put air in the tires.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I am currently hating the mx216/tubliss combo. I can't get the bugger down into the center of the wheel... :shrug:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Are you talking about mounting it? If so, that is a royal PITA and a warm tire and tire lube help a lot. I put my last one in between the inner and outer doors of my wood boiler while it was running and got it up to about 120 degrees before I tried mounting it. I also bought a big tub of Coates tire paste. That went on pretty easily.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Yeah, I was frustrated so I went in the house with plans to go back later with the heat gun. :hi5: On the plus side I didn't just go at it with force.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Warm tire and lube. Front tires suck to change with Tubliss only because you can't get the 2nd bead and the Tubliss in the valley very easily.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R