I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Greenbrier Enduro - Sunday March 17th

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Greenbrier Enduro - Sunday March 17th

Post by Boom Boom »

BamBam wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:09 am I just saw the note above about limited space, log in this morning to sign up right away.... and the god DAMNed on-line entry is disabled again. I mean for f$%ks sake, I just can't catch a break. Didn't someone say pre-entry was going to be open till Thursday?

What does that leave me? Driving Saturday to enter and having to stay in a hotel (with bike in the back of my pickup)? Can't see driving out zero-dark early Sunday morning not even knowing if there are any slots left. Not going at all and just giving up?

I'm kind of new to this and really swimming against the current. As if the near-impossible 6 hour ride wasn't daunting enough. Ooooofa
Just catch the next one. You want to be on a line with others that will look out for you.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

Greenbrier is full up. DAMN (no pun intended!)

Anyone planning for the next one, Curly Fern??
2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Had a rough/annoying day.

I got gas this morning and apparently it had a fair bit of water in it. So the bike would randomly go crazy wide open when it sucked in some water instead of gas. Yea. Fun. Oh let me chop the throttle to make this turn annnddd I'm still wfo.

At the gas stop I dumped all the gas out and tried to refill without getting any water back in. Not 100% successful with that but it was much better.

In the last test before the gas stop I dumped it hard and bent my hand guard up and bent the lower bar mount also. I straightened out the hand guard and retightened all the bolts. The bar clamp eventually loosened up though so I had to deal with loose bars the last 3 tests.

Crappy pic. It was bent a lot more than this but a couple kicks out in the woods got it out of my way haha.

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Sorry to hear. I don't think water made you go wfo (it's nigh impossible.) Something else is going on like a cable hanging the throttle open.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Water displaces fuel = bike goes lean = revs like crazy until it dies or I get it shut down

Brand new throttle cable to start the year. Throttle is smooth to turn and snaps closed even when it is going crazy.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I don't see how burning water makes the bike go wfo, and even if it made it go lean, I would think it wouldn't have the necessary oxygen to stimulate wfo. But I'm no expert.

When I had my own random wfo-bike-trying-to-kill-me period, the culprit was likely a small piece of grit or sand the would make the slide stick wfo.

In any case, I'm glad you seem to have not gotten too hurt during the ensuing getoff.

Thanks,

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Maybe the water was causing the slide to stick open? After I'd get her shut down it would restart and run just fine until the next time.

But dumping the gas and getting most of the water out made a noticeable difference from the morning loop to the afternoon with how often it would do it.

Also when I left the gas stop I forgot to turn the gas back on and it died right in front of a bunch of spectators :lol2: :dry:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth if that's a real possibility and that's what my problem was. I threw a lot of money at the issue and it was resolved in the end, but added into the expense was going to an enduro, paying travel and entry fees, then getting violently pitched off when it went wfo on the whoops section not 200y into the woods. Not to mention how nerve wracking it was every time I went to an event wondering if the latest round of fixes took care of it.

Thanks,

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Do they still sell "dry gas"? I remember the water thing being a regular issue when I was a kid although that might have been mostly related to gas in the tractor/condensation but dad kept a can of dry gas in his truck too. Maybe gas stations are generally better about it now...
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Marylander wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 am Do they still sell "dry gas"? I remember the water thing being a regular issue when I was a kid although that might have been mostly related to gas in the tractor/condensation but dad kept a can of dry gas in his truck too. Maybe gas stations are generally better about it now...
Unfortunately yes, its mandatory, its called ethanol. Its alcohol. The alcohol found in gas-line antifreeze is usually methanol or isopropyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol binds with the water that can end up in the tank and then mixes with the fuel so it can be burned during normal combustion. Ethanol does the same thing, but over time, it will separate from the gasoline and cause problems. That's why ethanol is problematic for long term storage, it actually atracks water into the fuel system and then leaves it behind.