I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Anyone ever dyno test a bike??

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Anyone ever dyno test a bike??

Post by BamBam »

I always wanted to dyno test a bike to compare my numbers to all those rear wheel HP stats I read about about in the magazines.
Finally has it done this weekend. It really wasn't all that expensive. Only $100 at T7 Race Tech up in Manchester, MD (Blake is the guy there).
I spent more though to buy a street tire, and then have it mounted for the test, and then changed again back to a knobby.
But I was in the middle of an internet argument about real horsepower figures, and needed legit data fast.

Pretty interesting stuff, especially with the Air/Fuel info included.
Here are my numbers for the PitsterPro LXR-250f (china bike dual sport, KTM chassis clone with Zongshen NC-250 motor)

2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Re: Anyone ever dyno test a bike??

Post by BamBam »

Based on this, its a couple HP more than the 2013 KLX-250 and CRF250L, and a couple less than the WR-250R

And nowhere near the power of serious enduro bikes like the KTM.
2001 Honda XR 200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Very interesting. 2 HP less but the WR250R must also weigh a bit more too.

If we ever meet up on a ride Id love to swap bikes for a little bit. I bought a cheaper chinese pitbike for my wife and have been pretty happy with it. Ive heard good things about the Pitster Pro bikes
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

Would love to have you ride it and give another opinion. It's legit scaled wet weight is around 275lbs, so lighter than the WR.

Picture a KTM rolling chassis clone with XR250 motor, watercooled, with electric start and EFI.
2001 Honda XR 200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

The crf150r I had borrowed to do the indoor go cart thing had been dynoed at RNR in sterling. That sucker made 22 hp stock. It was crazy fun in that setting (go cart track). I would consider one for trail riding although it'd need really frequent top end work.

I think it'll be interesting to see what happens with the longevity of the Chinese bikes. They sure make a lot of them for their local market (many times bigger than the US market).
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Marylander wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:56 pm The crf150r I had borrowed to do the indoor go cart thing had been dynoed at RNR in sterling. That sucker made 22 hp stock. It was crazy fun in that setting (go cart track). I would consider one for trail riding although it'd need really frequent top end work.

I think it'll be interesting to see what happens with the longevity of the Chinese bikes. They sure make a lot of them for their local market (many times bigger than the US market).
MX bike on the trails? No thanks. I think it would take too many mods to make it worth it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Some of you guys will remember Jacob riding a CRF150R big wheel version for a couple years when he was about 13-14. He could haul ass on that thing until his knees started hitting the bars. Kept up with the big bikes.

We did do the suspension. Other mods were flywheel weight, skidplate, & barkbusters. I probably still have all that stuff if anybody needs to mod one. We also did a JD jetting kit & a piston once, valves stayed in spec. Great little bike!
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

It's not how much; it's how you use it :deal:
Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Bucho wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:14 pm MX bike on the trails? No thanks. I think it would take too many mods to make it worth it.
A 150R is quite a bit different from, say, the kx250 I had though, e.g., no crazy power delivery or super stiff suspension that can't be softened up too much. I'm small enough that I wouldn't hit my legs on the bars like Jacob. ;) That said, I'm not on the look out for one. Of current bikes out there the one most interesting to me is the beta 200rr. That is very tempting... My wife would kill me though.
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

GPX (Utah based china bike) is making a snazzy CNC pimped out two stroke based on a Husky chassis and Yamaha DT230 motor. Smooooooth. Basically a new KDX. Cheap! :-)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dirtbikema ... e-tuesday/
2001 Honda XR 200