I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Dual Sport Advice Needed

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
John F
DAMN Expert

Re: Dual Sport Advice Needed

Post by John F »

Thanks for all the advice.
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

juddspaintballs wrote:
beejaytee wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:40 pm I’ll throw in since I’m one of the few running a ktm for dual sport use.
Does my 450 not count as a KTM for dual sport use?

I was just saying I was impressed with the WR250R on the street. I do like dual sporting my RFS and I'd get one of those over a WR250R any day.
That’s why I didn’t say I’m the only one Jed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

I looked at this today. Nice bike in nice shape that seemed to run fine. Seemed a lot heavier than my KTM 300. It is heavier, and the weight is higher up. Seller had receipts for motor work. Please feel free to PM me as to price. I came away thinking that if I was going to spend $4K, then I mine as well spend $5K-$6K and get a 2013 or newer bike (250-500 exc-f)

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ ... 33295.html
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Dude IDK, but that seems like a lot of work done. Did this guy race the bike, abuse it, blow it up or just preemptively fix shit?

The guys I know that ride those things seem to really like them- road, trail, DS or ST - it can do it all.

IMHO newer is better, less shit to worry about breaking?

And again IDK, but that price seems high.
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Those were and are great engines however the small oil capacity of them just hammered the oil if not changed every use or two. Not very dual sport worthy if looking at doing a long ride. You can easily get a bike a bit newer with FI and a single sump engine that hold far more oil. The EXC has a great gear box ratio for both off road and dual sport. A new 350 or 500 is a great long distance bike.. If I was to do more plated riding my 300 smoker would need replaced with a 350 4-stroke. Not as nimble but does everything well. Just my $.02
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

Laoch- The owner told me that he screwed up by not checking the valves for awhile and it got real hard to start. So, he brought it in and it needed valve/head work and rings, as well as whatever else is on the receipt. I agree that the price is high, so I'm passing and still looking. The bike seemed like it'd be good on fire roads, street, easy trails.

Boom Boom- I'd rather get a newer 350 or 500, but its all a matter of $$. If I can find a good street-legal RFS bike for a good deal, I may go for it. I'm also looking for a good 2014 or newer exc-f. I'm in no rush--my 300 is fine, and whatever I get will be a second bike, which I guess is why I'm a little reluctant to go new or spend real big

Thanks for the advice
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

I passed on the KTM RFS bike, and went to JT with my truck and tie-downs for the KTM 500. Test rode it and it just didn't do it for me. It vibrated through the pegs really badly above 45 or 50 mph or so. The suspension was also really stiff and had almost no sag when I sat on it. And the service records were spotty at best. So, I'd have to get the suspension serviced and lowered, and probably would try to get a set of those cool and expensive pegs that supposedly isolate vibration. That stuff adds up quick. Then, the other day I went to Pete's and test rode one of their used WR250s. I really liked it, and that's most likely what I'm going to get. It was smooth on the road, lowering it is easy, and I've read enough here and there about it off road that gives me the impression it'l do what I want. Cool bike. So, I'm on the hunt for a clean WR250R.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

This is one of the suspension shops who get raves from wr-r folks.
https://go-race.com/online-merchandise/ ... uspension/

I think Sam had his set up there. I don't think anything was done to the suspension of my wr-x and it does get kind of bouncy.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I kinda went through the same deal with bikes and finally decided to bite the bullet and buy new :shrug:

I think in the long run, you get what you want and save money. And I think you tend to keep a new bike for longer, because it doesn't have any issues and you like to ride it.

Good luck with the hunt.
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

John F wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:01 am I passed on the KTM RFS bike, and went to JT with my truck and tie-downs for the KTM 500. Test rode it and it just didn't do it for me. It vibrated through the pegs really badly above 45 or 50 mph or so. The suspension was also really stiff and had almost no sag when I sat on it. And the service records were spotty at best. So, I'd have to get the suspension serviced and lowered, and probably would try to get a set of those cool and expensive pegs that supposedly isolate vibration. That stuff adds up quick. Then, the other day I went to Pete's and test rode one of their used WR250s. I really liked it, and that's most likely what I'm going to get. It was smooth on the road, lowering it is easy, and I've read enough here and there about it off road that gives me the impression it'l do what I want. Cool bike. So, I'm on the hunt for a clean WR250R.
Cool. Twist recently got a WR250R also.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200