I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Riding Michaux

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Lightyear68
DAMN n00b

Re: Riding Michaux

Post by Lightyear68 »

Hello all,

I'm a noob to this forum looking forward to making some new friends and riding day trips in Harford County and Southern PA. I especially like Michaux and the C&D Canal levys.

I found SoPaRider on ADVrider last year and he clued me into some great info on riding Michaux--he's a great resource for Michaux.

So far I've ridden the Southern end of Michaux and it's a full day of riding off road when you loop all the dirt roads together as SoPa rider has done.

It doesn't look like I can attach docs on this DAMN forum [can I?], but I have a few gpx files for Michaux...or you can learn more on the ADVRider forum by searching Michaux or SoPaRider.

I use Scenic Rout App to share routes if anyone's using it.

Looking forward to riding Michaux and the Canal with some new friends this Spring.

I'll be looking for dates that work for my schedule!
Buzz

Yamaha XT250
Harley Iron 883
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Denny knows his way around, Thursday evenings never worked for me.
But sure, any route info you have is welcomed. I'm old skool, maps and memory and winging it. I think it's more fun that way.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Lightyear68
DAMN n00b

Post by Lightyear68 »

Laoch wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 am Denny knows his way around, Thursday evenings never worked for me.
But sure, any route info you have is welcomed. I'm old skool, maps and memory and winging it. I think it's more fun that way.
For Bald Eagle and Michaux, the Purple Lizards maps are weatherproof and have served me well: Here's the Michaux map link .

The maps show the gated roads and trails, and include roads that don't show on Google Maps or other mapping programs.

This is really all you need to enjoy Michaux. Since I'm former Marine infantry, I can appreciate old school maps, a compass, and winging it.
Buzz

Yamaha XT250
Harley Iron 883
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Yup. Already have purple maps.

Lol-retired Army infantry here. A lensatic and a 1:50 and I'm good.

Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

So, I have some old, some newer, roll chart/ route sheet stuff. Most are fairly accurate and understandable :lol2:
The routes are "modular", that is in small sections, either paved or gravel or 50/50. They include Michaux and branch out to back roads and back back roads. Most begin and end somewhere in Michaux.
They can be linked or done cumulatively or 30-50 miles at a time.

Can you GPS guys make routes or tracks from this stuff?
I can email the stuff if you want.

Also, I was looking at starting points and parking areas for you folks down south that haul your bikes (I do and I live here).
You have some choices:
39.987969, -77.401269 ---- Big Flat ATV parking lot (well known as start.finish for the DS and enduro)
39.906421, -77.478082 ---- Parking next to US rt 30
39.840059, -77.434923 ----- Parking lot. Mostly used by horse folks.

The above are all on state land and safe to park/unload.
And, of course my place within four miles of Big Flat.
Depending on travel distance and riding planned I figured we could use one on those locations to link up.
Bruce
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I may or may not be able to create good routes, but I'd love a copy of the data if you don't mind. I can give it a go with making routes now that I have a proper GPS for consuming them. I'll PM my email address to you.

Thanks,

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Sent :lol2:
Bruce
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

We could just follow Bruce around with our gps'. That's the easiest, and funest way to make gps routes! :deal:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Wingfixer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:26 pm We could just follow Bruce around with our gps'. That's the easiest, and funest way to make gps routes! :deal:
That will work :thumbup:
Bruce
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I can't remember where I got these GPS tracks from but does this like a decent ride?

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain