I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Helmet Headsets?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Helmet Headsets?

Post by Bucho »

Does anybody use any sort of “bike to bike” communication?

After a ten year break my wife has her own little dirtbike and is going to give riding another go. She brought up the idea of having some sort of helmet headsets. If we could find a cheap enough system maybe even have a third one so myself, my wife, and the kid could all have one.
Im not a big tech guy so Ive never really looked into them. Something really simple WITHOUT a million features would be preferable.

The main area we will be riding has little to no cell service.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Helmet Headsets?

Post by Bucho »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FRY1G ... SQ8S&psc=1

I was looking at these. Would be less than $100 for two
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

let us know how they work.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

If you get them, I'll get two also.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Bucho wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:51 am https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FRY1G ... SQ8S&psc=1

I was looking at these. Would be less than $100 for two
Idk, I'd choose something with recognizable name instead. On the other hand if you're ready to risk $100 to test it, probably it even connects and works.
Things I'm talking about would be at least twice the price.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-blu ... shed=false

Look for double packs.
Every day is a good day when you ride
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've been using a Sena SMH-10 for years on the bike. It pairs with my one friend who also has a Sena. I use it mostly for listening to music and once in a while making a phone call. A two pack of those would work very well for you and your wife. If you want better ($$$), the Scala Cardo Pak-Talk BOLD is about the best out the bluetooth headsets available.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
tomoro
DAMN n00b

Post by tomoro »

I've been using the Scala system for a number of years...works great for music, phone and comms. It will work out past a quarter mile on the street, likely much less in the woods. Be nice if there was a standard communication protocol with headsets so they could work between brands.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Phil, I have kicking around, some where, a couple sets of chatterbox helmet intercoms. The would be just the thing since they use FM transmission and have a range of over a mile. They would be better for woods riding over the Scala type blue tooth that have a much more limited range. The down side of the chatterbox is tho that they are single side band, ie, only one rider can talk at a time and you have to wait a second before the next person talks. I'll see if I can find them, if so they're yours for the taking. I'll bring them to you on the 13th.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Wingfixer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:41 pm Phil, I have kicking around, some where, a couple sets of chatterbox helmet intercoms. The would be just the thing since they use FM transmission and have a range of over a mile. They would be better for woods riding over the Scala type blue tooth that have a much more limited range. The down side of the chatterbox is tho that they are single side band, ie, only one rider can talk at a time and you have to wait a second before the next person talks. I'll see if I can find them, if so they're yours for the taking. I'll bring them to you on the 13th.
That sounds perfect. The com/talking to another rider is the ONLY thing Im interested in.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Wingfixer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:41 pm Phil, I have kicking around, some where, a couple sets of chatterbox helmet intercoms. The would be just the thing since they use FM transmission and have a range of over a mile. They would be better for woods riding over the Scala type blue tooth that have a much more limited range. The down side of the chatterbox is tho that they are single side band, ie, only one rider can talk at a time and you have to wait a second before the next person talks. I'll see if I can find them, if so they're yours for the taking. I'll bring them to you on the 13th.
I think you gave one of them to me to add to my collection of 1990's technology. I am pretty sure I know where it is, you are welcome to have it back so I have one less excuse to not buy something better at some point...