I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Show us your toy hauler!

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Show us your toy hauler!

Post by Bucho »

If you had a tall van there would be almost no drag. Might even make it more areodynamic.
I was pretty impressed how well my van pulled J’s flat nosed tralier behind my van
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:28 pm Hey--I got dibs on a used 6x12 single axle enclosed trailer. Has side door, not sure about the rear, I think it's a ramp. Has moto chock things inside. Not sure what else. I'll look at it tomorrow. Probably 3000# gross right. I000" empty weight? 6x12 is a decent size right?

How much does flat nose drag?

Question--- what is a good price for this size trailer? I think seller is asking $1700.

I've searched the interwebs for $$ value, but didn't find much. :shrug:
Wingfixer paid $1500 for one just like that. Single axle tows well and has better tire life. Using my RAM, with the sidecar and all racing gear loaded, we got 18MPG at 70 MPH.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Towing with an SUV or having a shell on a pick up helps too. There was a substantial difference between towing with my old dodge pick up and now with my Excursion.

My old 2wd dodge with the cummins/manual trans would net 19/20 mpg empty and my Ex with that same engine/trans but 4wd with big tires gets 16/17. But both average 13 when pulling my trailer.

18 mpg seems optimistic pulling a trailer, apparently Ken's math is as good as his riding :killingme:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

gots_a_sol wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:51 am 18 mpg seems optimistic pulling a trailer, apparently Ken's math is as good as his riding :killingme:
HA! I have a witness. When Wingfixer resurfaces he'll attest to that. The RAM 1500 EcoDiesel is an awesome truck. :deal:

BTW, going to Michigan for a race, cruise control set at 80 MPH, we got 16 MPG. I regularly get 26-27 MPG in an empty truck going down the interstate.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Thanks guys. The dirty little secret is I traded my F250 (12mpg) for a 2.7L four banger Tacoma with a 5 speed manual (21 mpg). It is rated at 3500#. But I'm looking at max 3000#. My small rv weights in at 2300# dry and 2900 wet, So I'm comfortable towing that puppy. It also has a curved front.

I think enclosed trailer wise I'll look for smaller, like 5x8. I know it's tight, but better than open trailer or truck bed.
And I need storage to hide all my trails bikes from the neighbors. :lol2:
Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Rut Row wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 am HA! I have a witness. When Wingfixer resurfaces he'll attest to that. The RAM 1500 EcoDiesel is an awesome truck. :deal:

BTW, going to Michigan for a race, cruise control set at 80 MPH, we got 16 MPG. I regularly get 26-27 MPG in an empty truck going down the interstate.
I suspect the ecodiesel does better, fuel economy-wise, when towing than the gas v6 I've got in my Ram (the ecodiesel was not available when I got mine, some gubmint thing). That said, on a trip to NC and back I averaged about 26, including in town driving. The big negative to me for the ecodiesel is the engine is so much heavier than the gas v6 that you give up 300-400 lbs payload. I'm likely to put a lightweight truck camper on at some point and the ecodiesel would be really limiting for that, especially if I've got my bike on the hitch carrier. It's kind of nice that there are so many options in full size trucks now such that you can set one up for whatever you want, even for getting better than normal truck fuel economy (so long as you don't expect huge towing capacity too). I would like if they were several inches closer to the ground like the 70s and 80s trucks used to be.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Bruce, the trailer I had with me (behind the cube) at micheaux is a 6x12. It's only 6' tall though but that makes it easier to pull. Behind my pickup it cost me approx 2 mpg. Behind the cube I GAIN approx 2 mpg! I paid $1500 for mine (DAMN family discount) but if it's in good shape I'd say $1700 isn't a bad price.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I just realized my 6x12 is what started this thread....
I need to post pics of the cube since it's pretty much done.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Rut Row wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 am
gots_a_sol wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:51 am 18 mpg seems optimistic pulling a trailer, apparently Ken's math is as good as his riding :killingme:
HA! I have a witness. When Wingfixer resurfaces he'll attest to that. The RAM 1500 EcoDiesel is an awesome truck. :deal:

Ken I will have to take your side on how capable a truck your Eco Diesel is. Firebolter has one, trip to Colorado pulling an open trailer and a standard car would have been hard pressed to get better economy. That said I can probably buy 2 of my gas burning vans for the cost of a nice truck like that and oh my can I pile a bunch of stuff in my van and still get 15 - 17 mpg from the little v6 gas. If beating the GPS time was not a sport I would probably do much better.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Rut Row wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 am

Ken speaks truth. :deal: That Ram (I can't bring myself to say dodge) is a nice truck. Not Chevy nice but nice. :lol2:
Last edited by Wingfixer on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.