I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Just got back...

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
CapoGreg

Just got back...

Post by CapoGreg »

From looking at a 2001 KLR 650 in PA. Ran nice, the guy let me take it out for a ride, so I ran it up through the gears until about 65, brakes were about what I expected when compared to the Capo. Has 33k miles on it, so if I pull the trigger, I guess the doo should be on the short list, maybe I'll splurge and get the 685 kit and 290 watt stator since it'll be apart anyway. It will need tires soon, I'm thinking either Kenda K270s or Cheng Shin C858s.

Once I get it sorted out, I look forward to doing some trail rides with you guys.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Just got back...

Post by Rut Row »

CapoGreg wrote:From looking at a 2001 KLR 650 in PA. Ran nice, the guy let me take it out for a ride, so I ran it up through the gears until about 65, brakes were about what I expected when compared to the Capo. Has 33k miles on it, so if I pull the trigger, I guess the doo should be on the short list, maybe I'll splurge and get the 685 kit and 290 watt stator since it'll be apart anyway. It will need tires soon, I'm thinking either Kenda K270s or Cheng Shin C858s.

Once I get it sorted out, I look forward to doing some trail rides with you guys.
I have a '00. I also have a '01 rolling chassis - the PO didn't do the doo.

If you want to see my bike, ride it, etc for comparison, holler!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I'm not talking bad about the KLR bikes, but don't buy one for trail/offroad riding.

Its a great "rough dirt road" sort of bike. If you already have some serious dirt skills, then go for it. But don't get one, just b/c compared to your Aprillia it seems like a dirtbike.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote:I'm not talking bad about the KLR bikes, but don't buy one for trail/offroad riding.

Its a great "rough dirt road" sort of bike. If you already have some serious dirt skills, then go for it. But don't get one, just b/c compared to your Aprillia it seems like a dirtbike.
:lol2: good advise! and 'splains why I own a 450EXC! :thumbup:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

I know, I'm not buying it to be a trail bike, but it will see some off road time, like Green Ridge or Pine Barrens. I'm still looking for something smaller too, in the 200-350 range, but there aren't too many of them for sale right now.

At the risk of sounding older than I really am, I used to be a pretty good dirt rider, but haven't done it in a few years.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Okay, just want to make sure you know what you are doing. Like I said, I kinda like the KLR for what it is. It seems that guys buy bikes like KLR650 or BMW F650GS bike as if they single track bikes that you can go win a harescramble on.

I've seen guys like Sallydog, he can ride the crap out of his KLR.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

Although, now there's an '05 XT225 in Bear, DE on CL. It's more than the KLR, but I e-mailed the guy selling it anyway.