I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Neck Braces

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Neck Braces

Post by Rut Row »

The "get off" I had last weekend, and the resulting concussion, has gotten me thinking about neck braces. I know the Leatt is popular (but expensive).

Does anyone have any personal experience with neck braces?

btw, the pressure suit earned it's pay - other than the concussion, I only have a little neck pain from hyper extension.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Re: Neck Braces

Post by trialsrider »

Ken,

Just curious what kind of "get off" did you have? Where were you riding, the ORV trail?
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

DAMN, Ken, get a little training under your belt, and you go crazy on the ORV loop. :amazon: All kidding aside, I hope you're doing OK, recovering well. Plenty of Vitamin I.

I was shopping for a similar neck brace, and had settled on the EVS based on price ---- I love my neck and all, but jeez, $6 bills, that's kind of a lot. So, I was talking with a helpful sales dude at ThumperTalk, and he said that the biggest size wouldn't be big enough for me. Another issue is my gnarly lumpy collarbone, which sales dude said would be a major problem, since the neck braces sit directly on your shoulders, *under* your chest protector.

Since you're about the same size as me, shop carefully, make sure there is a return policy, and try them out. I wound up getting a neck roll. I know it won't do anything for hyperextension injuries, but should help prevent additional collarbone injuries.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

trialsrider wrote:Ken,

Just curious what kind of "get off" did you have? Where were you riding, the ORV trail?
I'm curious about it too :lol2: Yup - ORV

It has been alleged that I went over the bars inverted. Apparently I then did another lap around the ORV after that.

I have about a 1 1/2 hour memory hole - Post-traumatic amnesia I guess. :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:DAMN, Ken, get a little training under your belt, and you go crazy on the ORV loop. :amazon: All kidding aside, I hope you're doing OK, recovering well. Plenty of Vitamin I.
I made the mistake of thinking I could chase down my brother :screwy:
Roadracer_Al wrote:I was shopping for a similar neck brace, and had settled on the EVS based on price ---- I love my neck and all, but jeez, $6 bills, that's kind of a lot. So, I was talking with a helpful sales dude at ThumperTalk, and he said that the biggest size wouldn't be big enough for me. Another issue is my gnarly lumpy collarbone, which sales dude said would be a major problem, since the neck braces sit directly on your shoulders, *under* your chest protector.

Since you're about the same size as me, shop carefully, make sure there is a return policy, and try them out. I wound up getting a neck roll. I know it won't do anything for hyperextension injuries, but should help prevent additional collarbone injuries.
Good advise - plus I want to be able to wear it with my pressure suit - lots of variables in this decision.
Ken
DaWasher

Post by DaWasher »

Glad you’re feeling better. That romp around camp in your birthday suit was hilarious… I’ll resist posting the pics. :jack:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

DaWasher wrote:Glad you’re feeling better. That romp around camp in your birthday suit was hilarious… I’ll resist posting the pics. :jack:
:harhar:
Ken
code
DAMN Poohba

Post by code »

Sorry to hear about the get-off. Glad you're okay. Wish I could've gone to the ride last weekend...looks like you guys had a blast. Hopefully I'll be able to show next year.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

I'm curious about it too Yup - ORV

It has been alleged that I went over the bars inverted. Apparently I then did another lap around the ORV after that.

I have about a 1 1/2 hour memory hole - Post-traumatic amnesia I guess
Alleged nothing, I watched it with my own two eyes! Since we didn’t have a chance to chat about it much when your memory was later again working, let me see if I can fill in a few blanks for you. You and I set out of camp to “catch-up” with Chris and John who had at least a 15 minute head start on the ATV. I was following you on the ORV and you were hauling serious ass. I think it was some where around the end of Stafford and the start of East Valley where there is a fairly flat area of mostly just smooth dirt (if there is such a place on the ORV) where there is a giant tree root that comes up and goes back into the ground right in the middle of the trail. The run-up to this root is preceded by a turn and I think you were coming out of the turn and your back wheel clipped this root and launched you kinda sideways as in the dirt, there was a definite track in the shape of an “arc” that looked like it was made by the side-knobbies of a tire.

All I really know is I was just coming around the turn as you were in “mid-flight”. To me your dismount appeared more like an “ejection” as your feet were 8’ to 10’ in the air and your head was no where to be seen! This was followed by the inevitable “thump” and fortunately there were not many rocks in the area.

Once we got going again I continued following you and you were riding fine. We stopped some where along the top once we got back on Stafford and were chatting awhile. You kept telling me how much you liked your KTM. I tried asking you about your experience at Super-camp the weekend before, but you said you had never been there. I thought this was odd as I was fairly sure you had mentioned it earlier, but I assumed I was the one who was delusional and must be confused. We set out again and I went first. When we crossed Mertens, you were maybe only 50 yards behind me and I pulled into camp to see if Chris and John were back yet. I had just turned off my bike and I looked up and saw you go hauling ass by the camp site for another loop around the ORV.

Chris and John pulled into camp about 10 minutes later, some how we managed to pass them and never knew it and I told them about your get-off and when we got to camp you had kept going again on the ORV. I next saw you talking to Chris when you got back to camp and I think your fog starts to lift a little after that. I am glad you are o.k. and I have learned that the next time some one denies a fact I know to be true, it is not because they are embarrassed that they just wrecked but it is because they don’t know who they are. Your gung-ho second lap around the ORV in spite of knowing “why” kinda reminds me of a Mike Tyson joke: “Which one’s the referee; CAUSE I’M GONNA KILL THE OTHER GUY!”

Jay
slacktrack
DAMN n00b

Post by slacktrack »

DaWasher wrote:Glad you’re feeling better. That romp around camp in your birthday suit was hilarious… I’ll resist posting the pics. :jack:
(...and Ken wonders why he suddenly found himself riding alone...) :poser:
Dave
'89 Honda NX650