I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route - Trip 2 May 11-13

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route - Trip 2 May 4/5/6

Post by J&J »

Put me down on the in list. Don’t know about Jacob, depends on school for him.
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

Where is the end point of this trip going to be? Just trying to figure out miles back afterwards.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Ovo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:56 am Where is the end point of this trip going to be? Just trying to figure out miles back afterwards.
Not sure yet. Someplace south of PawPaw. Depends on how easy/hard the options are and the resulting carnage (if any), pace of travel, etc. :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

what are you thinking on fuel range? I can go about 200 miles.
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Junior wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:49 pm what are you thinking on fuel range? I can go about 200 miles.
fuel is so overrated :eyes:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

I haven't read through all of this thread but will just throw out 2 thoughts to give you folks another chance to laugh at me.

- Folks form WATR that are very familiar with the roads in VA near the mapped route have commented that it makes some dumb road choices at times??? (Taking NOT fun roads that parallel fun roads).

- Given that it is not a loop - it MIGHT make more sense to start out ON the route (rather than a long day on I-81) and take I-81 on the way back. This would make it easier for folks that can't do the whole thing AND some folks might be able to do it out and back?
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

BigBird wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:24 pm I haven't read through all of this thread but will just throw out 2 thoughts to give you folks another chance to laugh at me.

- Folks form WATR that are very familiar with the roads in VA near the mapped route have commented that it makes some dumb road choices at times??? (Taking NOT fun roads that parallel fun roads).

- Given that it is not a loop - it MIGHT make more sense to start out ON the route (rather than a long day on I-81) and take I-81 on the way back. This would make it easier for folks that can't do the whole thing AND some folks might be able to do it out and back?
They miss the great roads in Greenridge as well but I was going to add those back in. :thumbup:
Ken
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Rut Row wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:07 am
BigBird wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:24 pm I haven't read through all of this thread but will just throw out 2 thoughts to give you folks another chance to laugh at me.

They miss the great roads in Greenridge as well but I was going to add those back in. :thumbup:
They missed a lot of local roads, but they are not locals. They are generating a product for the masses. Use their route as a guide and adlib. Don't forget the trans PA route is also out there.
My early inclination is to ride it south to north, taking our time and then hit stuff on the way back if time permits or slab it if needed. That way we all leave together and stay together for the most part.
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

This trip is going north to south which puts us closer to home at the end since we are only doing 1/2. That allows us to vary the route some as we plan. Hopefully by the time we are ready to do the southern 1/2 a custom route will have been developed with local knowledge.

IMHO, they designed the route for the big GS bikes and the latte sipping bunch, not us DS miscreants. :angel:

Regardless, I'm looking forward to it. I miss the 777 rides. :knary:
Ken
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Rut Row wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:46 pm aka the cool kids trip. This will be a weekend trip. Since the other guys are doing south to north, I propose we go north to south. I think this is a three day trip +/- to do the north 1/2.

I'll be riding my FZ-09 Adventure. I lean towards cheap ass hotels but will camp if that is what the majority want to do.

Primary date is weekend of May 4/5/6. The others are rain dates

5/6: Trip
6/3: Rain Date 1
7/22: Rain Date 2

IN
  1. Rut Row
  2. Junior
  3. Wingfixer
  4. Glenduro
  5. J of J&J :lol2:
LAOCH in with whatever El Jefe Ken decides ..Probably taking CB500X
Bruce