I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route- south- 3/27-3/29

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route - Trip 1

Post by juddspaintballs »

Real cold weather? I've got a plug for that.
Snow and I don't get along too well with street bikes, but I won't let a couple of spills keep me from trying it again.

Just thinking out loud here, but if we had a way to get our bikes down there, and even stored in a safe spot before we got down there, how are we getting down there and how is that vehicle coming back up?
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I'll be on the DRz, not much room for camping gear so my vote goes with the cheap hotel.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

I'm fine with cheap motel. That will let me leave the wide bags at home and make it easier on me in the tougher sections.

I'll need new tires for this trip. I'm thinking TKC80 front and K60 rear.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

my plan is to drive a jeep with a bike carrier on back to get down there and leave at my parents in dublin. the jeep has a tow bar on it. then at a later date I will drive my pick up down and flat tow my jeep back. it is a 4 door pick up so I can carry others with me.
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

BDMaha wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:57 pm my plan is to drive a jeep with a bike carrier on back to get down there and leave at my parents in dublin. the jeep has a tow bar on it. then at a later date I will drive my pick up down and flat tow my jeep back. it is a 4 door pick up so I can carry others with me.

Transport four bikes? Lets do it!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

what luggage you guys using? I can only take one bike down to start trip one via Jeep. I may leave it for a month or so depending on a hatfield trip or maybe ill bring my kids to visit their grandparents.
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

BDMaha wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:36 pm what luggage you guys using?
I do have a set of Stich tank panniers. Honestly not sure if I will use them...

Since we are hotelling it, probably just my shoulder bag strapped to the back.

A layer or two that can be put in morning, maybe taken off in afternoon. A spare pair of gloves, extra tshirt/undies/socks. Pair of sandals. Cell phone and credit card. One reload for ccw. A tire pressure gauge and a few tools. Really don't need to bring much.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

juddspaintballs wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 pm Snow and I don't get along too well with street bikes, but I won't let a couple of spills keep me from trying it again.
A year or two ago all the roads were (apparently) clear of snow so I rode the cbr to work. It was really windy that day. I came over a rise on one of the country roads near home to find that the wind had filled my entire lane with snow for 200-300 yards. The opposite direction was free of snow but there was a car there. I was going about 55-60mph at the time and there was no time to brake. Talk about pucker factor. The bike got wiggly near the end but I managed to keep it upright.

There's a chance I can do this but I don't want to officially put my name down. I'll have to see if I can when the day gets closer.
da scrub
DAMN Wanabe

Post by da scrub »

I'm hoping to do this...my vote is for cheap motels.
I may have to catch up at end of day 1.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Tire choices are difficult for the Wee. Originally, I wanted to try a TKC80 front and Mitas E-07 rear, but I think I might go for the Anakee Wild tires front and rear instead. I like wet asphalt performance and most of the options that fit the Wee's front are not good performers on wet asphalt. The TKC80 is supposed to be good for that, but wears out quickly on the Wee at the same time. We'll see. I still might go with my original plan of TKC80/E-07 and deal with a worn out front tire as it happens.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R