I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Truck Bed Tents

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Truck Bed Tents

Post by Rut Row »

I have a problem. I donated my old tent to the Boy Scout troop when I bought my race trailer. My race trailer is now known as the PAT. I want to make a KAT but that has to wait until the new house is done. So...

Truck bed tents are cheaper than regular tents and seem to be a reasonable temporary solution. Does anyone have any experience with them? This one appeals to me and can be found for about $260.

more pics here
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Truck Bed Tents

Post by Marylander »

I don't get the bed tents. Are you wanting it for quick set up? In that case I would go for a Coleman 6-Person Instant Cabin. I've got the 4-person but I'm short. You would probably prefer the bigger one. My tent only takes a couple minutes to set up.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Get the enclosed trailer now. With your house build, tools storage, moving....seems silly to wait to buy a trailer
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Marylander wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:05 am I don't get the bed tents. Are you wanting it for quick set up? In that case I would go for a Coleman 6-Person Instant Cabin. I've got the 4-person but I'm short. You would probably prefer the bigger one. My tent only takes a couple minutes to set up.
that style concerns me. I've always had a double-wall tent and heard stories of water penetration of single wall tents. Many reviews I've read of that style also complain about water penetration. How does yours stand up to rain? Does water penetrate the sidewalls?
Boom Boom wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:12 am Get the enclosed trailer now. With your house build, tools storage, moving....seems silly to wait to buy a trailer
two words - cash flow.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

i`d spend the money on a used cap. i love having a cap on my truck. I end up towing a trailer or put the bike on a hitch carrier anyway. It also gives security while you are away for the truck. plus when you do get a enclosed, it will help with aero! The return on investment should be higher then buying something you only use a few times. Or you could buy something like this https://www.softopper.com/dodge/softopper i beleave Grady has one and likes it well enough. easy to take off!
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I agree with what Junior said about the topper. I agree so much that I bought his off his old truck! It helped that it was the correct color!

When it comes to bed tents...here's mine:

More detail later....
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Wingfixer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:40 pm I agree with what Junior said about the topper. I agree so much that I bought his off his old truck! It helped that it was the correct color!

When it comes to bed tents...here's mine:

More detail later....
:lol2:
Friggin awesome. That's thinking outside the box or is it in the box truck :deal: :killingme:
Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I've never had a double-wall tent. I've also never had issues with the tents I've had so long as I don't touch the walls/ceiling when it rains. There's a rain fly you can buy for the 'instant tents'.

I like the idea of a cap for everything but stuff like going to the dump or carrying a load of dirt. I've been thinking of getting a supertop (competitor to the softopper). It gives up the extra security of a regular cap.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I've had truck caps and don't like the loss of visibility. Back in my whitewater kayaking days my truck with cap was my RV.

I only need a tent for a year until I get moved in, the current house sold and things to settle down financially. Perhaps it's time to rekindle my home-made truck bed tent project using a tarp and PVC pipe.
Ken
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

If you get the coleman instant tent 6 person or bigger I might buy it from you in a year... :)