I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

RAC riding 2017

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RAC riding 2017

Post by stretchride »

Skinny-J wrote:
stretchride wrote: Guys, is the riding 7 days/week/holidays etc? Yup

Are they really requiring insurance proof on a dirt bike? yes, but just send them the card for your Honda. I sent them the insurance card that listed all my bikes and my permit showed up in a week. The YZ wasn't on the card since I don't have coverage on it but its what will be ridden there. The permit you receive does NOT list your bike, just a number that gets pinned to you...

No provision to bring a guest I guess? No, each rider has to have a permit
Any camping allowed? No

Hey J, how long a drive for you from Mt. Airy? It would be a little over 2.5hrs to St.Clair. But there should be lots of options for truck pools.

So tempting....I need more riding in my life this year for sure... JUST DO IT!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Thanks SJ, great idea on the Honda papers...
I am SURE to regret it if I don't do it.

stretchride
DAMN Expert

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RAC riding 2017

Post by stretchride »

Bucho wrote:
stretchride wrote: So tempting....I need more riding in my life this year for sure...

Do it Ken!

I feel you about needing more riding in my life. While part of me, doesn't like the idea of paying $125 up front to go ride. I guess this is good motivation to go ride! It will drive me a little insane to spend that and NOT get my monies worth.

And I agree w/ J. If you have to, just send them registration/insurance info for your Honda. The permit is for you and not your bike.
Yeah you nailed it, it'll drive me insane too! So just gotta figure out honestly if I think I can get up there enough. Between the planned rides like Granville's, Kylers PA GT, the KY Trail Invitational (haha!), and the usual Cove/Shade/Greenbrier/King George/Michaux jaunts here and there, there's a lot I'd like to do (not to mention some of the enduros and the NJ rides and the Shenandoah which I've still never done).
I know, preaching to the choir right Image

2way2wheels
DAMN n00b

Re: RAC riding 2017

Post by 2way2wheels »

I found SJ's TT guy - report on RAC trails.

His Saturday 3/25/17 report: MattMc and I rode up over Burma on the Big bikes today- It looks like 95% snow is gone! parking lot is clear and everything we could see was just about clear- a little snow here and there but nothing major- certainly rideable. I would have no problem riding Burma from today on- I would say Darkwater side will be clear by next weekend if not sooner. In short

GAME ON 2017 !!!!!!!!!!

I'm willing to go Thursday 3/30 if anybody can make it.

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

That's great to hear the snow is gone! I can't make any mid-week rides until after Tax season but I hope you make it out. :thumbup:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Check yer mailbox. Big changes are coming.
Bruce
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

What are the changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

trialsrider wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 pm What are the changes

So it sounds like the Reading Anthracite Company (RAC) has realized there is $ to be made off this thing. After years of just collecting money for simple access, it appears to me they are going to try and step it up some. They have formed a new company called Famous Reading Outdoors (FRO) and TALK about marking trails and marketing the place more in general. I am not exactly sure what benefits WE will receive but THEY are raising the fee from $125 to $175 starting in 2018.

I am not sure how I feel about all this. I am definetly not excited about paying more, although they said if you have a permit for 2017, they will hold the price for 2018 to the same $125. But that's just a tease for one year. Marking the trails would be nice, and some trail maintenance could be helpful, but to me that's not worth another $50\yr as we seem to get by just fine without these things now. All I really see this doing is drawing in more Kwad-tards racing up and down the haul roads. Then again I don't like change so I guess I will have to try and keep an open mind and hope this doesn't turn into what Tower City did years ago...

SJ
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Skinny-J wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:47 am
trialsrider wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 pm What are the changes

So it sounds like the Reading Anthracite Company (RAC) has realized there is $ to be made off this thing. After years of just collecting money for simple access, it appears to me they are going to try and step it up some. They have formed a new company called Famous Reading Outdoors (FRO) and TALK about marking trails and marketing the place more in general. I am not exactly sure what benefits WE will receive but THEY are raising the fee from $125 to $175 starting in 2018.

I am not sure how I feel about all this. I am definetly not excited about paying more, although they said if you have a permit for 2017, they will hold the price for 2018 to the same $125. But that's just a tease for one year. Marking the trails would be nice, and some trail maintenance could be helpful, but to me that's not worth another $50\yr as we seem to get by just fine without these things now. All I really see this doing is drawing in more Kwad-tards racing up and down the haul roads. Then again I don't like change so I guess I will have to try and keep an open mind and hope this doesn't turn into what Tower City did years ago...

SJ
Yeah. If they actually make a trail system of sorts that would be good. I'll probably go in again for next year, but after that :shrug:
Bruce
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

FRO (Famous Reading Offroad) has a new website up: https://readingoutdoors.com/tract-parking-entry-maps

The track boundaries on the map page is way cool; wish I could figure a way to overlay our GPS tracks on it else import the boundary lines into Mapsource....

They even have an on-line application process now.

...and I was concerned we weren't getting anything for the increase in the cost of the permit.... :shrug:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Ok, I was able to convert our GPS tracks into KMZ and merge them onto the FRO boundary map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit? ... 32612&z=14 (Ken, I tried to embed the google map here using the option on the menu but couldn't get it to work; maybe you can?)

I was really curious about the loop up in the north-east corner where we come across the State Game lands signs. It looks to me like we are off FRO property but just for a little bit before we are right back on for the entire rest of the trail; this makes me feel better. I was also surprised out on the very west end (not counting x-ing 901) we are actually off FRO property in a couple places....; oh well.

I thought it was pretty impressive that these trails cover a good majority of the available area, at least on the Darkwater side.

SJ