I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Spokes for DRZ400

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Spokes for DRZ400

Post by Nobody »

Hi!

I'm in need of a spoke set for both wheels (18" and 21") as part of my spokes won't come loose and I have one broken on each wheel.
Only options I can find over the net are about $100+ for a set. I would like cheaper ones. Seems stupid to throw out 200$ because I have some bad spokes :censored: ..well, about 15 on both wheels.
Is there anything for less money? Or a place to buy single OEM spokes for a reasonable price.
I've found one page with Moose racing, but I have no clue which ones will fit. Price seems to be ok.
Here www.mxmegastore.com at the end of the list.

I've sent a question there, but perhaps someone here will know a better option :cheers:
Every day is a good day when you ride
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Spokes for DRZ400

Post by gots_a_sol »

The oem spoke sets are pretty reasonable. Rockymountain shows $61.47 rear, $51.86 front.

55320-29F00 Front
65320-29F00 rear
Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Try dismounting the tire and soaking the nipples from both sides with a good penetrating oil. Then (using a GOOD SPOKE WRENCH) work the nipple back and forth until it frees up. If you end up relacing the wheels use a good spoke lube (usually supplied with kit) and occasionally apply some oil after washing. I use a thin oil like sewing machine oil or 3IN1. The wheels on my YZ465 are going on 20 years old and I have no issues with them after treating as outlined. I always go over the wheels after a tough weekend of riding. I'm no small guy so it's important.
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

gots_a_sol wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:15 am The oem spoke sets are pretty reasonable. Rockmountain shows $61.47 rear, $51.86 front.

55320-29F00 Front
65320-29F00 rear
Do you mean https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com?

That's what I got there:
SPOKE SET, FRONT WHEEL
Part# 55320-36E00
Price: $117.42
$93.94
Qty: Usually ships in 5-7 business days

Rear is a little over 100$

EDIT: Ok, I found the difference, for E model (sorry for not mentioning that) the price is nearly double!!? Is there a real difference between S and E model spokes?
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

anotherguy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:31 am Try dismounting the tire and soaking the nipples from both sides with a good penetrating oil. Then (using a GOOD SPOKE WRENCH) work the nipple back and forth until it frees up. If you end up relacing the wheels use a good spoke lube (usually supplied with kit) and occasionally apply some oil after washing. I use a thin oil like sewing machine oil or 3IN1. The wheels on my YZ465 are going on 20 years old and I have no issues with them after treating as outlined. I always go over the wheels after a tough weekend of riding. I'm no small guy so it's important.
I have pretty ok spoke wrench no problem with that, tried to use liquid wrench on the nipples. Main problem is spokes turning around in hub. One broke at the nipple.
I did nothing to spokes since purchase last November. I would guess they already were bad by then. Just recently accidentally found that many of them are loose. Wasn't in my maintenance check list before. Learned something new recently :D
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

I don't know why the E and S have different part numbers. Suzuki hasn't changed the bike (much) in almost 20 years :shrug:

Comparing pictures of the E and S spokes they look the same. Could just be a superseded part number?

This guy has individual E model front spokes for sale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-SUZUKI-5532 ... 1519820836
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

gots_a_sol wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:25 pm I don't know why the E and S have different part numbers. Suzuki hasn't changed the bike (much) in almost 20 years :shrug:

Comparing pictures of the E and S spokes they look the same. Could just be a superseded part number?

This guy has individual E model front spokes for sale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-SUZUKI-5532 ... 1519820836
Oh, thanks I forgot to try to search by part number :)

So I've found that E model spokes are different and larger than S model. Will try o still find a reasonably priced set. At least for front where there are more seized spokes and also I have a new rim from PO.
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

When it comes to wheels I use the best I can get. Buchanans stainless spokes/nipples and Excel rims. Only spend once and it's an plus when selling. Allows me to ride with impunity.