I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

KAT Navigation and buddies

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

KAT Navigation and buddies

Post by Skinny-J »

The gpx file that Jeff provides is one track that is some 30K points. I read in one thread that some guys were complaining about the details of the original track so Jeff re-recorded it in uber-high detail. Well, my old ass Garmin 60 can’t handle that kind of detail. Even WF’s brand spanking new Montana something or other gave up on a single track at 20K points. Therefore, I have gone through and broken down the original track by days. My 60 is also only B&W so it’s hard to distinguish the main loop from the options even though they are color coded in Jeff’s file. Therefore, I further segmented each day to make separate tracks that will ensure I don’t miss any of the “options-hards”. I am happy to share this file with any one who wants it, just send me a PM with your e-mail.

Here is how I have set the tracks up, it will make more sense once you see the file. You want to only display one track at a time. If you can wrap your head around the below, the navigation will be cake. If you can’t, good luck:
Day 1: (Matewan to Slade) 195 miles.
Instructions: Display the track labeled: “Day 1A – Matewan to Hard 10” This track will take you from Matewan and eventually end at the intersection of the main route and the start of the option Jeff calls Hard 10. If you want to continue on the main route, now display the track labeled “Day 1B – Hard 10 to Hard 11”. If however you want to ride the option, instead display the track labeled “Day 1BH – Hard 10” (note the “H” in the track description) This option will eventually return you to the main loop where you now want to display track “Day 1B - Hard 10 to Hard 11”.
Continue on “Day 1B...” until the track ends. This will be at the intersection of the main loop and the option called “Hard 11”. If you want to continue on the main loop, display the track labeled “Day 1C- Hard 11 to Slade”. If however you want to ride the option instead display the track labeled “Day 1CH – Hard 11” (note the “H” in the track description) This option will eventually return you to the main loop where you now want to display track “Day 1C- Hard 11 to Slade” and motor on into Slade.

Each day is set up like this. If you only want to ride the main loop, just make sure to never select a track with an “H” in it. If the options call to you, team H will be proud to have you. Here is the rest of the itinerary: (note mileage is main loop only)

Day 2: Slade to London – 167 miles
Day 3: London to Jellico – 235 miles (includes Hard 5, the hardest outside HM)
Day 4: Jellico to Harlan – 120 miles. I think we will be ready for a “light” day by then. However, this day also includes the Hensley Extreme option so it will be good to have time to have a leisurely ass-whoopin.
Day 5: Harlan to Matewan -231 miles (most pavement of all days)

ALSO, I have been giving this a lot of thought and because of the size of this group, and the fact that each day has different routes that different people will ride at their election, we need to do things a little different on this trip. Normally I like the “you are responsible for the guy behind you” method of having a group travel together. However I do not think this is going to work this time because of the above mentioned reasons. Therefore, my suggestion is that we simply use the buddy system. No one should be off on their own on a ride like this. Therefore, everybody is getting a buddy that you are responsible for. If your buddy is not there at the end of the day, you have done something wrong; you will be explaining to the group why you are cutting into their beer drinking time when they have to go look for YOUR missing buddy.

Here are my suggested buddy assignments:
1. WF and SJ (True love…)
2. Bucho and Phoo (Both are bald)
3. DaScrub and Harleyflh72 (I believe they desire to mostly stick to the main route)
4. BJT and Darrell (I don’t know you guys well enough yet so noob on noob action)
5. Bigbird and Nobody (process of elimination)

Again, just my suggestion so let me know what you think….

SJ
beejaytee
aka Heather

Re: KAT Navigation and buddies

Post by beejaytee »

Are the above listed buddies all doing like sections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Phoo gets no buddy. :-( If I shave my legs, can I be the meat in the Wingfixer-SkinnyJ sandwich?

BTW, I have the latest and greatest Montana showing up Tuesday. Color and hopefully able to handle the big file.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

phoo wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:55 pm Phoo gets no buddy. :-( If I shave my legs, can I be the meat in the Wingfixer-SkinnyJ sandwich?

BTW, I have the latest and greatest Montana showing up Tuesday. Color and hopefully able to handle the big file.

I think he paired us together. Meant to type "Bucho and Phoo"

Im still GPS retarded so Im happy to have a riding buddy who knows how to follow the route.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bucho wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:11 am
phoo wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:55 pm Phoo gets no buddy. :-( If I shave my legs, can I be the meat in the Wingfixer-SkinnyJ sandwich?

Im still GPS retarded so Im happy to have a riding buddy who knows how to follow the route.
Bucho is Phil :lol2:

This is good already. Noob on Noob. Sam and Nobody. Looking at the bike list.....yeah, I hope you have fun, and post daily :deal:
Bruce
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

beejaytee wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:11 pm Are the above listed buddies all doing like sections?
I made the matches with this in mind. I dont know Darrell but do know he belongs the the Delaware Enduro Riders so I am assuming he will be looking for "adventure". Hopefully he chimes in and advises...

We can always split a set of buddies onto a different set of buddies making it a temporary three-way, the point is just to have someone else be aware of where their buddy is and no one goes off alone or atleast without someone knowing where they are.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Bucho wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:11 am

Yes, sorry I had been stairing at tinny track lines for too long at point....
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Noob on Noob?

sounds like some great stories coming soon! :lol2:

likely topics:
- "we got lost"
- took us 4 hours to get out of that creek we weren't supposed to be in
- got a flat, didn't know how to fix it

:killingme:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

Rut Row wrote:Noob on Noob?

sounds like some great stories coming soon! :lol2:

likely topics:
- "we got lost"
- took us 4 hours to get out of that creek we weren't supposed to be in
- got a flat, didn't know how to fix it

:killingme:
Or, "then, from out of the forest, they heard a banjo..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I also broke down the track into daily track logs, with the exception of day 4, that one was big enough I had to break it into an AM and PM portion. I also have the options saved in such a way that they will show up on the appropriate days. I tried to post them on here but the files are too big to attach :dirtdog: @Kyler....

I will attempt to host them to another site and post the links here once I am.......somewhere not moving at 530 knots.

Or, I can email them to anyone that wants them.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.