I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Hill Climb at Mountain Ridge

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Hill Climb at Mountain Ridge

Post by BamBam »

Have any of you guys played with the hill climb off Gentle Ben trail? Like a giant hair pin up and back. From a distance it looked great, but going up the loose rocks made it tricky. Going down I DAMN near soiled myself!Image

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Hill Climb at Mountain Ridge

Post by juddspaintballs »

Nope, but I kind of want to try
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

With some momentum its pretty easy to make it up.

Its always great to play/practice your skills. You can try to go down it as slowly and as controlled as possible. Testing your balance and braking skills. Or since its pretty straight and a large open area at the bottom you can go down with some speed and feel the difference.

Last time there I believe beejaytee did a pretty sweet wheelie most of the way up it. Was pretty cool.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Is that the one that is down at the end of the plateau and runs across the field down to the road if ya take it far enough from the bottom?
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

anotherguy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm Is that the one that is down at the end of the plateau and runs across the field down to the road if ya take it far enough from the bottom?

I dont think so.
I think you are thinking of a different spot.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

If it's the one I'm thinking about you run through some twisty stuff through the pine trees then run across a flat field and can turn right to continue at the top or jog left to run down the hill. Ya never know last time I was there was before the wind farm was constructed.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Gear up and do it :shrug:
Bruce
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

When you approach a long hill like this, what is a good gear selection? Do you ever downshift on a long uphill, or do you start with the gear you think you'll need at the top?

Me and the boy tried it, and while both made it up fine, he took a fall on the way down, behind me. Probably locked up the front wheel and folded over? Those loose stones were a bitch coming down!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

These guys are pretty good and entertaining --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmh ... KY8vTEJPJg

Get your butt low and to the rear, extend arms, start the hill at the slowest speed possible (you will only go faster). Rely on front brake, squeeze but don't lock.Rear tire will lock eventually if you use it too much. Sometimes with the 2t, I let is stall and ride like a mountain bike.
Honestly, I kinda suck at gnarly hills, find smaller hills and practice.

On the uphill I just grip it and rip it, works most of the time. Gear selection depends on bike and hill, terrain, traction, etc. You should know when your "hit" come in
Bruce
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Pin it to win it!!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.